Has anyone bought from this chinese company selling on ebay?

cgbrad

• Members

I haven't bought anything from that company.

I did however check out the site.

Looks like good prices. Some "hidden costs" though may emerge, such as maybe your order being delayed in customs. I also would venture a guess that if you were to have an issue with any item you bought, especially down the road, that product support would be poor or perhaps, nonexistent.

For some, it may be worth the risk, after all if you compare their fixture that looks just like the Chauvet Min-Spot, and you're looking at buying a few of them, its big savings. For others, spending a bit more on name brand units from a reputable company and dealer would be a better route to go. If you strike up a buying history with the same dealer time after time, you're likely to be able to get some type of break on price.

• Members

These look identical to lights I bought from another ebay vendor, 'Tiny Bear Shop". I'm saying IDENTICAL.

They drove me totally nuts. My electrician buddy and I finally figured out that even with the dip switches set right, the sound to light feature would overpower the DMX signal, and cause the lights to flicker in high volume environments. I put up with this for months, unplugging lights that were misbehaving, unable to find a problem. Once we figured it out, we desoldered the mics from the PC boards (except for one light, which did not have the mic installed, and had worked fine from day 1) and that fixed that problem.

Then we started to loose lights at gigs, and a few times the whole rig. That is the thing with DMX, sometime if you have a fault in one light it reflects upstream and downstream, causing the whole rig to fail. We tried everything, differrent patch cords, a terminator, etc, etc. NO luck.

We found that the solder joints on the XLR connectors in the back, where they solder into the little PC board for them and the dip switch, were cracked, cold soldered, or did not have enough solder, so we resoldered them. That fixed THAT problem.

From day 1 unlike typical DMX lights where you can set them up in what ever address order you like, these wanted to be set up with lowest addressed light closest to the controller, and in order on from there, or they would do all sorts of screwy things. Eventually I found some more components not soldered properly, fixed this, and this problem went away. Thing was, the fault was intermittent.

So after a year of screwing around and totally going nuts the whole rig finally works OK. Now the LED's have started to fail and fall out, so I have had to resolder a few of them.

I WOULD NOT recommend getting these, or any light like this.

I would strongly recommend the PUCK that has shown up on here a few times, and I think Bill from ESC has them for something under $100 each. I don't want to quote an exact price, I can't recall what it is, but it's a good deal. They are small, light in weight, convenient, and work well. Do that. Don't spend a year driving yourself nuts for the $100 you will save.

Cheers!

• Members

Whoa!

That's a lot of things to go wrong and have to deal with to just "save" some money!

I'll have to keep this in mind next time I see some crazy deal that seems way too good to be true.

I'm wondering if perhaps these fixtures, since many/most/all seem to look identical to a name brand fixture.....are maybe the "seconds" of the name brand runs of the product. You know, the ones where the parts and/or workmanship and quality control were lacking.

Archived