4Bar on truss

• Members

Hi gang.

I have a ADJ Crank 2 truss that I just bought and hope to truss my two 4bars, two 4plays, and two Intimidator 300s.

When I ordered the truss, I didn't realize the type of clamps needed. The sales rep recommended Light Source Mega Clamps (not knowing what I was trussing). I ordered 10 and realized that they are not the right size for the 4bars and 4plays. I kept two for the Intimidators and ran to my local guitar center and replaced the others with the Light Source Mini Clamps. Should those work for trussing up the 4play and 4bars?

http://www.thelightsource.com/products/20/view

I'd like to put truss them like this (not drawn to scale ;) ):

doable?

Thanks!

• Members

Yes. True Value. Big strong drill bit and drill. Hold on for dear life and drill out the holes in the 4 bars (those threaded built in annoying mounting gear holes) make a hole big enough for American DJ O Clamps. Get to show, pull out 4 bar, put on O clamps and mount to the truss (or leave assembled if you got the transport). I have not done two 4 bars so I don't know how well the o clamps will line up with those cross member bars on the truss. That was my solution. Oh and I had to go to the hardware store to replace the stock bolts on the American DJ o clamps to get the right length. I could post pics but everything put away, sorry : ( Oh and I have one 4 play under and I did the same to that, but again with two on top and two on bottom, man that should be a killer light setup!

• Members

As far as the scanners, I suspect 2 on top two on bottom you may run out of room, HOWEVER when you have 4 bar/4 play mounted mounted top and bottom there is a lot of black between the two sets of lights that need to be filled up. We know this: Truss is 10 feet wide, 4 bar Size: 47in x 91 in.91 inches = 7.58333333 feet (7 feet 7 inches) 47 inches = 3.91666667 feet (3 feet 11 inches) *** per http://www.chauvetlighting.com/4-bar.html Would love to see pics of your solution!

• Members

Well... the 4Bars came with clamp bolts already and I don't plan on drilling through my truss (or 4bars)... I got a ton of truss bolts with the truss (and they're the same size as what came with the 4bars). I spaced them out and the 4bars should work just fine side by side with the 4plays under them. I plan on putting the scanners on the outer edge - clapped to the truss stand or the top truss bar.

Assuming the clamps I ordered (light source mini clamps) work out... I'll get photos posted from the show this weekend. I just hope the clamps get here in time so I can get the rig setup and the scanners programmed.

• Members

Update:

Received the Light Source Mini Clamps today; The 4bar/4play hanging bolt does not fit the clamp (must be metric or fine threaded) BUT the clamp's bolt does thread through the chauvet units. Guitar Center was no help in the matter so I ran to Menards and found that the mini clamp uses a 3/8 16 bolt. So I grabbed eight 3" full thread stainless steel bolts and sure enough, threads just fine and I can truss them with the mini clamps. No time tonight to rig it up so I'll attempt tomorrow.

• Members

Update:

Received the Light Source Mini Clamps today; The 4bar/4play hanging bolt does not fit the clamp (must be metric or fine threaded) BUT the clamp's bolt does thread through the chauvet units. Guitar Center was no help in the matter so I ran to Menards and found that the mini clamp uses a 3/8 16 bolt. So I grabbed eight 3" full thread stainless steel bolts and sure enough, threads just fine and I can truss them with the mini clamps. No time tonight to rig it up so I'll attempt tomorrow.

Right but you have to screw them into the 4 bar 4 play everytime you want to set up right? That's why I drilled out so I could slide it through quick, slip on a wing nut, tighten, hang and enjoy. I'm sorry but minimal setup time is my priority. I looked for months for a solution for 4 bars online (before I discovered this place, sigh) but I see what you mean. Do you have a link to your clamps? There seems to multiple models of Light Source Mini Clamps.

• Members

Right but you have to screw them into the 4 bar 4 play everytime you want to set up right? That's why I drilled out so I could slide it through quick, slip on a wing nut, tighten, hang and enjoy. I'm sorry but minimal setup time is my priority. I looked for months for a solution for 4 bars online (before I discovered this place, sigh) but I see what you mean. Do you have a link to your clamps? There seems to multiple models of Light Source Mini Clamps.

http://www.amazon.com/American-DJ-C-CLAMP-Lighting-C-Clamp/dp/B0002DNT5I

I'm pretty sure these are the clamps I used for our 4 Bars. The tapped holes on these clamps fit the 4 Bar thread/supplied bolts. No drilling or other modification needed. We attached the clamps to the lights and leave them on, clamping the lights to the truss at the gig. Works well for us so far.

• Members

Yes I have to screw the hanging bolt into the 4bar/4play but it's one time really. I just make the bolt flush with the top of the unit when ready to pack. I do see what you mean about drilling out the threaded area... that would be handy, but like I said, once the bolts in place... I really don't have to mess with it other than to attach the clamp.

Link to the clamp I'm using is in my original post above. I really like the clamp, very strong and stays in place very well (has little teeth to grip the truss).

I managed to get everything rigged up last night and posted photos on my facebook site (facebook.com/captainbetty). I'll attempt to post them here when I get a chance.

Now my next beef will be with the ADJ Crank II truss; that middle "I" truss bridge is a PITA!. One of the holes on the thru-connector doesn't line up nicely with the truss - making it difficult to pass a bolt through it. I'm going to search for a replacement solution to those bolts, or I'll have to drill it out a bit.

• Members

Yes I have to screw the hanging bolt into the 4bar/4play but it's one time really. I just make the bolt flush with the top of the unit when ready to pack. I do see what you mean about drilling out the threaded area... that would be handy, but like I said, once the bolts in place... I really don't have to mess with it other than to attach the clamp.

Link to the clamp I'm using is in my original post above. I really like the clamp, very strong and stays in place very well (has little teeth to grip the truss).

I managed to get everything rigged up last night and posted photos on my facebook site (facebook.com/captainbetty). I'll attempt to post them here when I get a chance.

Now my next beef will be with the ADJ Crank II truss; that middle "I" truss bridge is a PITA!. One of the holes on the thru-connector doesn't line up nicely with the truss - making it difficult to pass a bolt through it. I'm going to search for a replacement solution to those bolts, or I'll have to drill it out a bit.

LOL I had the same issue, bolt wouldn't line up on both sides, again back to my trusty ole drill and my titanium drill bit and a couple torn wrist ligaments later, wallah!

It's an ok trust (my first one so no room to judge) for the money, but damn that just ****** me off when bolts don't line up because they have a jig off by 1/8 ".

Archived