Basic LED lighting rig for bands, thoughts?

• Members

I'm looking into buying a basic lighting rig for my system, mostly for bands, maybe also some uplighting for weddings and such. I will have 20ft truss all around at max (20 front/back, probably t-bars/10ft on sides) depending on the application, and I've been looking at a company my friend goes through locally. He has 8 of the 56's and they look great on a 10ft truss at the rear of his setup. I was thinking something along the lines of:

8 PAR64's (rear lighting)

8 PAR56's (side/rear lighting)

8 PAR38's (front light color lighting)

8-16 PAR39's (Warm White LED's, 9x1w apiece) (front wash/audience lighting)

I'll be throwing in various strobes and LED FX as well, all DMX controlled, for different lighting effects. Without manufacturer's names specified, does this sound like an alright rig for indoor & some outdoor use?

• Members

Are these flat/slim/puck style fixtures?

It is a good number of fixtures for the application but there is no way of knowing how good the show will be without knowing the model number of each of the fixtures. There are Par64's out there that offer 183 - 5mm diodes and ones that offer 12 - 10w Quad diodes to others that offer 54 - 3w Tri diodes.

For a faster/easier set up, you might consider using strip fixtures for you side lighting. There is a strip fixture featuring 60 - 1w diodes with RGBAW color mixing and a 45 degree beam spread.

BTW, there's no such thing as a Par39.

• Members

It is a good number of fixtures for the application but there is no way of knowing how good the show will be without knowing the model number of each of the fixtures. There are Par64's out there that offer 183 - 5mm diodes and ones that offer 12 - 10w Quad diodes to others that offer 54 - 3w Tri diodes.

For a faster/easier set up, you might consider using strip fixtures for you side lighting. There is a strip fixture featuring 60 - 1w diodes with RGBAW color mixing and a 45 degree beam spread.

BTW, there's no such thing as a Par39.

No, these are standard 5mm diodes IIRC. And I'm aware there's no real Par39, it's basically a 38-size can with Warm White LED's. I would LOVE to have quad diodes, but this is a cheaper basic set up to get me going for now until I can get a set of quad color cans.

• Members

I'm looking into buying a basic lighting rig for my system, mostly for bands, maybe also some uplighting for weddings and such. I will have 20ft truss all around at max (20 front/back, probably t-bars/10ft on sides) depending on the application, and I've been looking at a company my friend goes through locally. He has 8 of the 56's and they look great on a 10ft truss at the rear of his setup. I was thinking something along the lines of:

8 PAR64's (rear lighting)

8 PAR56's (side/rear lighting)

8 PAR38's (front light color lighting)

8-16 PAR39's (Warm White LED's, 9x1w apiece) (front wash/audience lighting)

I'll be throwing in various strobes and LED FX as well, all DMX controlled, for different lighting effects. Without manufacturer's names specified, does this sound like an alright rig for indoor & some outdoor use?

It's a lot of work for one person... Hope you have a helper...

But it sounds like what I have been running for a few years now...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2421283-After-almost-two-months-some-new-gig-pics.../page7

• Members

It's a lot of work for one person... Hope you have a helper...

But it sounds like what I have been running for a few years now...

Yeah, I've been looking at your new rig, and I think I'm sold on those LL lights. They look awesome for the price!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

What are the pros/cons of different led configurations?

Ps I am sorry if this has been done to death!!

Archived