Building a new light show - Need some opinions

Bandeng

• Members

I'm mainly a road/tour audio guy now doing weekend warrior duty with a local band. We need to build-up the light show, since sound is mainly all upgraded.

I want to start by getting a couple of good led par/washes (I've got front lights covered for now) and add more pairs as we can afford them.

I've narrowed it down to either Puck 3NX or Puck Q6A for my budget (I can get them for the same price).

Which is "brighter" and "better suited" for the task?

Also, most of the stages we play are not very deep (less than 12 feet), would it be better to do side washes instead of rear, since there's lack of space for rear truss & stands? 

• Members

What about Fab5's? Then you have amber & white for lighting the performers.

I have Fab5's for the band and 3NX's for rear truss lighting. The 3NX's are fine and I prefer the lens pattern. When I bought mine the Fab5's weren't out. If I were to do it again I miiiiiiiiiiight go with all fab5's but I am happy with the 3NX's

• Members

Bandeng wrote:

...Also, most of the stages we play are not very deep (less than 12 feet), would it be better to do side washes instead of rear, since there's lack of space for rear truss & stands?

Side washes can give you some really nice ambient washes. However, if you want any effect, even if it's just a basic par chase, you will want the lights along the back.

Depending on how you set up your stage, you should be able to easily fit a 8' or 10' truss in the back without taking up any real space. The legs of the stands can be positioned to fit in between the backline amps. 2 T-stands are also an option (again the legs can be positioned in between the amps), though that would leave you with less upgrade options in the future (though they could be repostioned for side washes in the future if your show gets big enough).

As to the differences between the 3NX and the Q6As: The 3NX has a better LED pattern if you will leave them in the back. But the Amber in the Q6As makes a huge difference in your available color options, especially if you'd like a decent yellow or orange. Also, the Q6As make really good front fixtures if you're considering an upgrade path. But like Bill said, you won't go wrong either way.

Archived