Pls Help: Lighting Noob Looking for Suggestions

• Members

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and new to band lighting in general.  I played in bands years ago and gave it up around 2004.  At that time I started my own wedding photography business.  Fast forward to now, I am playing again and with my photography experience I am very keen on developing a decent looking light show for our cover band.  We play generally small to medium sized bar venues in the area with small to medium stages.

Right now I own two Chauvet 4 Bars and intend on putting both in the back of the drummer for general back light.  I am looking to hear from any experienced folk willing to lend their opinion on how I can beef up the overall 'appearance' without getting into too much light purchasing.  

I read the "Basic Band Lighting Guide" that is available here; awesome resource.  However, there is alot of info to digest so I was hoping someone could dumb it down with real world experience.

I get that with the 4 bar's behind us, there will be nothing to light us up front.  From what I understand two Chauvet 200B wash LED would do the trick here? I also thought maybe getting a color strip to illuminate the drum kit would add another dimension?  I am not sure how far I am willing to go on this, but just looking to bounce this off some talented folks here!  

Thanks in advance

• Members

Welcome.

The 200B's are dim at best and not worth the cost.

For LED front lighting you want at minimum RGBA color mixing and if within your budget, RGBAW color mixing.  How much are you planning on investing to start as that will dictate what we suggest?

Archived