Controlling Lights With iPad

• Members

Hey everyone,

had a quick question about this. I am starting to get into stage lighting for my band and beginning very simply, probably going to start with a pair of Chauvet 4Bar Tri systems, one on each side of the stage, plus maybe one or two different effects, such as the Chauvet Eclipse RGP and either say the Chauvet Comet or the Chauvet Moonflower or something.

Now I found a few nice videos that used an iPad app called Luminair and the guy on Youtube used that app with the Enttec ODE Ethernet Gateway to connect his iPad to his lights.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/420401.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CPK3m5G97bUCFckx4AodgCYAIw

Now Luminair is an expensive app at about $129.00

And the Enttec ODE is just under $300.00.

So in order to get this set up, not counting the cost of an iPad or the lights themselves, I am looking at around $429.00 just to get started. Is this the best setup? Can I do it cheaper OR would I then come up against the old "You get what you pay for" dillema and end up with crap?

The $400+ is not a deal breaker for me, per se, but it would be nice if I could accomplish the same goals for less. Or perhaps I will start out with a fixed unit for DMX control and use the iPad later.

Thanks! :)

• Members

My question would be is this Ipad going to be mixing duties as well for your mixer board? (going from memory you were debating a several mixer boards for your upgrade as well) I guess my only concern is your using the ipad for mixing, would it be possible you would max out that ipad if using it for mixing and lighting?... This is the right place to ask questions!

• Members

StratGuy, thanks! I will be checking that info and videos today! Because Luminair + Enttec ODE is pretty pricey! Again, I will pay it if I absolutely had to. Not looking to skimp and get crap, but for around $300.00 the ODE looks like nothing more than a DMX to Ethernet adapter. lol

Nchangin, yes, I would be using the for mixing from stage AND for lighting! This is why I picked up the 64 GB iPad. I got the iPad 3 because I am definitely going to be starting out with the Mackie DL1608, and the iPad 4 works but won't dock with the unit because of the Lightning Connector. I am quite sure that as long as I am only running the on stage pograms I need for lights and sound that this won't even begin to challenge a 64 GB iPad...though I could be wrong.

Archived