Quick question about addressing groups of lights

stangconv

• Members

Well now that I'm cooking with fire here, I am doing a small gig in 2 weeks and my main wash lights are going to be 10 blizzard puck rgba's. I'm thinking 3 on each side up front for front lighting And 4 on the back truss.

Do you guys adress each light on its own, or would you group similar lights (like maybe the front ones symmetrical ones on each side?)

• Members

Well it depends...

1. What controller are you using? Do you have enough channels to control each?

2. Do you want to be able to control each individually for a more dynamic look, or do you want to keep the look and programming simple?

As a DMXis user I have 512 channels available. I personally prefer to be able to have each fixture on it's own channel. This gives me the ability to have dynamic chases. Also I can do several different complimentary or contrasting colors for each scene.

**EDIT**

Sorry, I just saw your post that your using software control, so I assume the answer to question 1 is yes.

• Members

I prefer to have individual addresses for each fixtrue. It give you a lot more options. I then create groups to speed up programming (For DMXis, this means I've created macros to select fixtures in pre-defined groups, but for D-Pro, I use the group feature).

I also own a bunch of the RGB Pucks... They are not terribly bright, and the RGBAs are slightly less (per color). I think you'd want at least 3/side in front of them, both for coverage and for brightness.

• Members

My thoughts were 3 each side for front so I could use 2 for an amber/white and one for color. I'd group 4 together to use as strictly making the band be seen. Use the remaining 2 as a group for front coloring.

Then link the backs in pairs...

• Members

If you plan to keep it simple and/or trying to conserve on dmx channels go ahead and put them on the same channel.

If you want to be more elaborate then channel them seperately.

I do both. For a smaller show I would say channel them individually. You will get more effects out of your fixtures.

Archived