New Lighting for Band

• Members

Need some opinions on lighting for a band. I already have two t-bar stands, obey70 controller, and dmx cable so just need some fixtures. I need to keep cost to around $500 (for now) so here are some products and possibilities I have been considering:

Backlighting:

Scenario 1: (2)4bar flex (found some from NSL for about 255 each)

Scenario 2 (2)colorstrip or (4)colorstrip minis

Front Wash:

Integrate or clamp a pair of existing 150w floods on L&R Main speaker poles. My plan is to upgrade the front wash incandescent floods to LED RGBA (or something equivelent) at a later time.

Does anyone have any opinions on this setup or can offer some suggested LED fixtures instead.

Thanks!

• Members

You'll probably find out quite quickly that the Obey 70 is a major PITA to program and a waste of DMX channels.  The Obey 40 would serve you much better.

Colorstrips will give you a better result IMHO and offer more eye candy.

• Members

Bill, thanks for the feedback.

I haven't really used the obey70 for the fact it is simply inconvenient to use while I am playing. I am thinking about selling it. For this reason, I am considering the foot controller LED FS1 if the colorstrips are the way to go; seems it would be much easier to use while performing.

Do you have an opinion/preference with 2 colorstrip vs 4 colorstrip minis? Output would appear to be about about the same with two minis on each tree. Not sure if it would be advantageous to go this route but just curious.

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived