Best Bass Drum Mic?

• Members

I LOVE it! I probably sound like the Audix ads, but I've never had so many compliments on my bass drum sound. Well, I guess I've had compliments before while using a Beta 52, but that was in the hands of an EXCELLENT engineer.

I work more with mediocre engineers at my main gig now, so the fact that I can just plug in my mic and a great bass drum sound comes out with such minimal fuss is what really impresses me. I ended up customizing a Dixon cymbal boom arm that had threads which were a perfect match for a European-style mic clip (an adaptor comes with the D6), so I've got the flexibility to play with my mic position inside my bass drum. I settled on a position well-off-centre, about middle of the shell, with the mic pointed at the batter head, but not directly at the beater.

At my last gig, the engineer and I also did a head-to-head comparison with the house-owned D112 for interest's sake. EVERYONE preferred the sound obtained in my bass drum with my D6!

• Members
Originally posted by 1ordinary-guy

At my last gig, the engineer and I also did a head-to-head comparison with the house-owned D112 for interest's sake. EVERYONE preferred the sound obtained in my bass drum with my D6!

See, it just goes to show that a room full of deaf people can't be wrong! :D:D:D:D

Personally, I would have steered you towards either the Beta 91, or the Beyer ...I think it's the TGX-5.

Tim

• Members

Yeah, you're not the only one who's tried to push the Beta 91 on me. Its just too expensive here in Canada. And it requires a little bit more effort to EQ.

Beyer is almost impossible to find around here.

I'm quite happy with the D6, thank-you.

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

Sorry for all the questions, but you're the first D6 owner to respond!

Thanks

I use a D6 for live shows. Kinda like a 57 after you boost hard at 50 Hz, cut at 200 Hz to remove the cardboard, and add a little 2-4 kHz for snap, except you don't have to do any of that.

I'm still ambivalent about using the D6 for recordings. It has a *huge* amount of low end built in that sounds enormous live, but not really appropriate for recording. It's an absolute complex bitch to EQ out if you don't record it just perfect.

I had a drummer over the other night to record who wasn't in any hurry. He wanted to try a bunch of different mikes on his drum set, which sounded pretty decent before I slapped the first mike on it. One of the mikes I tried was the D6.

I rolled video while I was trying the different mikes, so in case I liked something unusual I tried I'd be able to repeat it. As usual, the D6 sounded like complete crap when it was far inside the kick near the beater contact point, and also like utter crap when it was even with the front head soundhole.

But, to my surprise, it sounded very good when approximately centered in the kick drum. I have some clips I might be persuaded to post.

Basically it's just very touchy. Moving it a couple of hairs back or forward from the sweet spot makes huge difference in the sound. :freak:

I spent many years doing live sound for country bands using a 57 in the kick. Needs a lot of EQ, but it works.

Terry D.

• Members

our drummer used a beta 91 for the last couple of years and we had great results with it. now he uses a different set up. he uses a beta 91 but rolls off all the low end. then places a yamaha sub kick i front of the bass drum and uses it for low end. other drummers go ape {censored} over the sound. it is very full and punchy and is easy to get just the right amount of click. set up may sound complicated but it is not that hard. excellent results. without the sub kick i would use a beta 91.

• Members

This again, I'll list mics that I've used in no particular order.

AKG D112: I've used this mic numerous times and let me tell you, it always sounded exactly the same. If I were mic'ing a nice jazz kit this would be perfect. Big, open, boomy sound that's really round and mellow. I'm a rock guy though and like the kick punchy and defined, so this doesn't work for me at all. No matter how the drums were tuned it always sounded the same.

Sennheiser E609: I've gotten great results with this mic, and bad results as well. It's kind of middle-of-the-road and I don't hate it or particularly love it, but it's definitely usable and somewhat versatile with EQ.

Shure Beta 52: I have the PG52 (cheaper version) and have used the Beta 52, and they produce a sound similar to the D112 but with more definition and clarity. Gives a huge booming kick drum tone which can get crazy. I've gotten great results with this though on well-tuned kicks and I like this about the same as the E609.

Audix D6: This is by far my favourite kick drum mic. The first time I used one I had to have it, and now use it exclusively in the studio and live. Great punch and definition with a solid low end and great clear highs (for that "click" that a lot of dudes love to hate). I run this mic flat more often than not, but sometimes I boost the high-mids at 6k for more click for drums that aren't particularly well-tuned. A lot of dudes hate this mic but I think just as many absolutely adore this mic (like me). It's really up to you.

Shure Beta 91: This mic is crazy, best used in conjunction with another mic. Loads and loads of attack and definition (ie: "click"), so this combined with a Beta 52 or a D6 (as a lot of touring companies do I've noticed) is an amazing kick drum sound. As the dude above me said it can be used with a yamaha subkick (which is a great combination) for amazing results, but the subkick is equally expensive and kind of cumbersome.

Yamaha Subkick: Basically a subwoofer in a drum-shell with mesh heads to capture the really low frequencies that other kick mics don't. Designed and intended to be used along with other kick drum mics, like a D6, Beta 52, or ideally an Beta 91. Amazing results. Expensive, though, and fairly cumbersome to use, I thought.

• Members

Ive used the AKG D112 for several years now, on many different kick drums as a Live FOH engineer, and in the studio along with a {57 sometimes} and some hrmmm "secrets", Everyone has their preferences, but after using the RE-20 and Sure beta 52 the ATM -25, Senheiser 421, and even a Yamaha NS10 Near Field studio monitor in terms of picking up low end frquencies plus many more. I prefer the D112 for both live, and studio applications. However, most of the FOH technitions ive worked under, or alongside of always complained they find the AkG D112 incompatible for its design.
Sorry to disagree though, You seem to have very insightfull info, but i had to protest.

In factual.. if your a good with your ear, and with the mic placement, processing blah blah blah.. u should make anything work, and sound not to shabby,

Archived