In-ear monitors

• Members

A professional in-ear system will have a couple benefits.

1. Built-in limiting to protect your ears from any accidents (feedback, clipping, etc) one mistake can be disasterous, especially when using in-ear buds which are closer to your ear, and harder to knock off your head. But even with over-ear headphones it can be very dangerous.

2. Wireless, not neccessary with drums, keys, or other non-moving instruments, but nice to have.

3. Better sound, most likely in-ear buds will provide a better sound than your headphones, I have a pair of SCL3 buds which are on the cheap side, bud I definately like them more than any of my headphones (several models of nice Sony and Sennheiser headphones). For some things I prefer my HD-280Pro phones but that's it. You will need to get used to the feel of them though.

4. Better isolation from exterior noise, especially if you get custom molds made. I don't have custom molds yet but I get a good fit with stock tips and the noise reduction is 10x more than any over-ear phones I've used.

5. Appearance. This might not be high up on your list, but headphones aren'y pretty on-stage, earbuds are slightly better. Unless you're in to that kind of thing.

The sound quality and other things may not be enough to warrant the switch but weigh in your hearing a.k.a. your lively-hood and it is well worth getting the right thing to do the job. At very least put a limiter in the chain and set it up properly.

• Members

I use the psm200 with SCL3 buds (custom molds). I love it except for the guitar part...everything sounds fantastic but I'm still having trouble adjusting to the guitar sound. It's hard to go from a 4x12 to having that sound pushed into a tiny speaker in your ear. it's definitely made my playing fall off a bit...mainly leads because notes just decay in my ears when they're still sustaining from the cabinet.

• Members

I use the psm200 with SCL3 buds (custom molds). I love it except for the guitar part...everything sounds fantastic but I'm still having trouble adjusting to the guitar sound. It's hard to go from a 4x12 to having that sound pushed into a tiny speaker in your ear. it's definitely made my playing fall off a bit...mainly leads because notes just decay in my ears when they're still sustaining from the cabinet.

That is still so weird to me. I use the same setup and the sound from the in ears is the same as FOH (as far as decay, fall off, etc...). I was hoping you had that figured out already.

• Members

That is still so weird to me. I use the same setup and the sound from the in ears is the same as FOH (as far as decay, fall off, etc...). I was hoping you had that figured out already.

Nope it's still different. It's better at some venues but still gives me problems. It could be that I have so much going into my ears that it's overloading at times. But that doesn't answer why the guitar tone itself sounds different

• Members

I've experienced exactly what you are going through. Although I never used a huge cabinet on stage, the sound directly from the amp is different "feeling" than what comes through the IEM's. I've had one gig with my new Sennheiser 300 G2 IEM's coming from the Shure PSM 200 and honestly, I don't know how I even got through a gig with the Shure. The Senns provide the sound they way it's supposed to be heard although the guitar feel is still not there. I will be getting some custom molds made and sending them off to Fidelity Custom Earphones and hopefully that will improve the dynamics.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses guys. You've convinced me to try some IEMs, but don't want to start with the expensive ones. Has anyone tried the LD Systems MEI 1000's? You can feed 2 mixes in, so that you can hear your own mix slightly above the main mix. Sounds good in principle. Ear buds are probably not the best, but if the wireless works well, I could always replace them.

• Members

I wouldn't start too cheap. We did that and it was a nightmare. We wasted hundreds on cheap units that really never worked. Check out the Galaxy or the PSM200s if you want to start cheap. Anything less then that will be a waste of money.

We are very happy with our 200s but we started so low that the 200s sounded awesome compared to all the other cheaper units. I'm going to give the Sennheisers a try just to see if they are really that much better then the Shures.

• Members

I wouldn't start too cheap. We did that and it was a nightmare. We wasted hundreds on cheap units that really never worked. Check out the Galaxy or the PSM200s if you want to start cheap. Anything less then that will be a waste of money.

We are very happy with our 200s but we started so low that the 200s sounded awesome compared to all the other cheaper units. I'm going to give the Sennheisers a try just to see if they are really that much better then the Shures.

It is a night and day difference going from the 200's (no headroom at all) to the Senns. You can still get the Senn 300 G2 for under $600 new on Evilbay. Do it.

Archived