Help Choosing a Mic

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need to get a new mic. Currently I have a couple of dogs... a Shure beta green 5 (condenser), or something close to that -- not sure of the exact name, and a Sennheiser 815 (not bad... not good either). Years ago I used an Audio-Technica AT818, I think that was the model, with good results. I've never liked my voice through an SM58. I'm having a lot of trouble at rehearsal with feedback. As usual, money is tight, looking for somewhat of a bargain. Any help is much appreciated.

• Members

For rehearsals and small gigs, try an Audix OM2. They sound cleaner and crisper than the SM58 with significantly better gain before feedback due to a hypercardioid design...and they're as cheap or cheaper than the SM58. I got one from Full Compass for $87!

Otherwise, most any hyper- or supercardioid mic will help with the feedback. Be sure to check other things like making sure all speakers are off-axis to the mic and that they're not set up in a way that will allow lots of mic bleed, and that you're not monitoring with lots of effects. These are the main factors in causing feedback for most folks.

Guest Anonymous

try an Audix OM2. They sound cleaner and crisper than the SM58 with significantly better gain before feedback due to a hypercardioid design...

Thanks. I was looking at that, but thought it might be too cheap. :)

Anyone else?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin

Hmmm...what's your budget?

Audix OM5 or 6 is better still, but around $160 and $220 respectively (my main vocal is an OM6...great mic!)

Can't go wrong with a Shure Beta 58 either for about the price of the OM5, or Sennheiser, too.

Does the Beta 58 sound like an SM58?

I'll spend the money (about $150) if I'm sure that I'm buying the right mic. I hate the buy and sell routine trying to nail it down. I was thinking of the OM5 based on what i've read here. I'm just not sure, and testing in a music store doesn't work very well for me.

• Members

The Beta sounds much better than the SM58--celaner, with a crisp high-end (sometimes a little harsh IMHO but that's relative to so many other factors).

The OM5 is very clean, very smooth, and has a low-freq roll-off so it's a great mic for male vocals, especially bassy male voices.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I like Audix myself, I've been happy with every Audix mic I've owned, but it comes down to personal taste.

• Members

I personally like the EV ND767a. It can be had for around $100.00 and has sound quality at the same level as a Shure Beta58. Either of these microphones will be a HUGE improvement over the SM58. Both of them share a Neodium magnet design and are hyper-cardiod pattern pickup. They both have excellent tone.

Reguardless of which you pick, you should notice a massive improvement in both quality of sound, and in the level you can move your slider up before you start to get feedback.

Archived