Behringer Eurodesk 2442a

Guest Anonymous

• Members

the auxilory sends are mono is this corrent? but the returns are stereo?

why is this?

Opps... I have more questions...

The last group of effects from the internal processor are for the main outs right..? and are not assignable by each channel? is this right?... how do I use them... like the compressor?

what would someone maybe use that 4-8 buss system for... the what do they call them?... the sub outs? apparently there are 8 of them, but so far I have just been skipping over them.

What I actually do with athe board is live sound... guitar bass electronic drums, lead guitar, and three vocal mics... all run into main channels, the vocals are fed out of aux 4 to the reverb unit, and then back into an additional channel input, and everything is adssigned to aux 1 also, which feeds the headphone amp for the iems. Everything is fine, but maybe I could do it better?

• Members
Originally posted by Rbts

the auxilory sends are mono is this corrent? but the returns are stereo?

why is this?

aux sends and aux returns really have nothing to do with each other. you could have aux sends 1-4, and aux returns 1-4, but they're not tied together.

aux sends are mono (unless it's a really high end dual-purpose board, in which case it'll probably be switchable stereo/dual mono), and are used for such - monitoring, effects, mebbe a line recording, etc.

aux returns are usually stereo, used effectively as spare input channels - for FX returns, line-level inputs like tape decks/CD players, etc.

what would someone maybe use that 4-8 buss system for... the what do they call them?... the sub outs? apparently there are 8 of them, but so far I have just been skipping over them.

you assign stuff to subgroups, and you can use then for various purposes. mebbe a vocal subgroup that you can insert a compressor, mebbe a drum subgroup so you can control the entire drum mix with one fader, such. mebbe if you're recording to 8-track, put drums on 2 tracks, guitars, bass, vox, etc. many uses.

the outs are for that. whatever you use the subgroups for, you can take the outs from that to mebbe FX, or the recording device, or such.

on second thought... that wasnt such a stellar explanation. mebbe someone else will come along and save the day.

What I actually do with athe board is live sound... guitar bass electronic drums, lead guitar, and three vocal mics... all run into main channels, the vocals are fed out of aux 4 to the reverb unit, and then back into an additional channel input, and everything is adssigned to aux 1 also, which feeds the headphone amp for the iems. Everything is fine, but maybe I could do it better?

Nope, that's about the best way to run it. pre-fader auxes for monitoring, post-fader auxes for FX. you've definitely heard this plenty before, but i'll say it anyway - make sure you dont turn up aux 4 on the reverb return channel - feedback =/= (not equals) fun. also, you dont wanna put too much reverb into the ear mixes (which again, is a matter of choice/opinion).

AS

Guest Anonymous

I've got the manual, it comes with the unit.

What I need is an tutorial that walks you through the more complicated functions like how to setup subgroups etc etc.

The manual isn't in layman's terms it assumes you have experience in sound engineering, full of jargon.

• Members

Mr.Shivraj..

Thank you for your comments... they were pretty good.

Our sound guy has only been trying to do this stuff for a few weeks, and I am so far really pleased with the end results, but he is pretty inexperienced. Monday at practice we aqctually did have the aux send turned up on the channel that was receiving the reverb, but just a little... but it was a good example of what CAN happen... I turned it up just a little more to demonstrate, and it DID start to howl a little.

I still don't really understand what or how the sub groups might be used... my poor tired out brain just won't think that hard anymore maybe... but things are good enough for now, and maybe i will figure outmore as we go along.

Like the other guy, I would like a more detailed tutorial than what is in the company manual...

I got like 300 pages with the brain for my drum machine, but only like 16 pages with this mixer...

• Members

The thing with console features like subgroups, mute groups and all that is you don't need to worry about it until you need them. The way it usually works for me, anyway, is that once you realize you need to use subgroups for, say, submixing the drum kit, you'll be able to pretty quickly grasp that concept.

Just consider for now that subgroups are for "keeping track" of different groups of channels on the mixer. Let's say you're using seven channels for your drum mics. Well, you can set up each channel the way you like, adjsut the gain, EQ, fader etc. on each one, and then by pushing a switch on the channel strip you can assign all those channels to one "group", maybe group 3-4. Now, all those channels are going through subgroup 3-4, and on the console somewhere is a pair of master faders for that group. Well let's say if you decide not just one or two drums but the WHOLE drum mix is too loud or too quiet, you can turn all the drums up or down using just those two faders for subgroup 3-4, instead of having to adjust all seven of those individual drum channels, because you've assigned them all to that one "subgroup". It sounds mroe complicated that it really is, and that's just one easy example of a common use for the subgroups. There are many others.

Also, once you understand generally how a live audio console works, you still have to worry about using your own particular board. For instance, I just got an Allen&Heath GL3300, in fact it just came in on Tuesday. Beautiful board. Lots of buttons! Lots of lights! LOTS of routing abilities! I read through the manual before I bought it and once it came in the first thing I did was read the manual again. A friend of mine was giving me the "you spent all that money on a new mixer and you don't even know how to use it!?" bit and I said of course I know how to use it, generally, but every mixer has it's own little ways of doing things with their own little nomenclature. My studio mate took a few minutes to understand that what he normally calls "solo" is "PFL" on the GL, and what's called "flip" on others is called "reverse" on this one, and so-on. So you have to learn the specific ins and outs. In fact, I'm going to copy the manual and send my studio mates home with them :D

Also, if you're looking for a general how-to book for live sound, didn't Yamaha put out a pretty concise book on it? Someone who's familiar with it, please help me out here! Doesn't Yorkville also have a pretty good guide to live sound on their website? Worth looking into...

Dunno if my rambling made any sense, but that's a couple pennies for ya.

• Members

Thank you, those are good thoughts..

and well said.

I generally understand what you said.... and probably you are quite correct, in that the reason I have trouble thinkinbg about the sub groups is that I don't need them presently. I guess I am using the aux sends sort of like sub outs... (they are sort of the same it seems like???) anyhow, everything is working fine, so I will leave it alone for now. I don't want to make it harder than it has to be.

Thank you for taking the time to comment however. SR

• Members

Subgroups (and matrices, on bigger boards) are basically just extra routing flexibility in case you need some odd thing. Some techs will routinely set up a "drums" group, a "keyboards" group, a "vocals" group, etc., while others will just run from the mic channels. Often you might get a situation like a complicated keyboard mix with multiple mics, synths, etc. and it's better to assign them all to a group so the balance stays the same.

I generally don't use subgroups, at least live, but then once in a while I'll have some weird thing I need to do and I'll figure out a way to get a subgroup to handle it.

As for the mono Aux sends with stereo returns, it's because effects (especially reverbs) usually have mono inputs and stereo outputs! Plus stereo sends are expensive. I've seen people use stereo sends with high-end reverbs which apparently can do useful things with a stereo input, but that's pretty rare.

Archived