a few questions

• Members

Ok, my band has decided to invest a little bit of money in repairing my PA so we can actually use it. Not a fortune so I need to be careful in 'what' I actually repair (and I've got to pay it all back out of gig money anyway). We will need it from feb next year (our sound guy is concentrating on his own band).

1: Can I use an old Laney bass amp to run a couple of monitors in a vocal only PA? (200 watt per side FOH) It's 120 watt which really isn't enough to run my bass through effectively. That would free up a 300 watt per side amp for the vocal drum fill and bass. (the drum fill needs to be louder - he is the lead vocalist).

2: How repairable are old mosfet type power amps? A friend of mine said they weren't anywhere near as easy or cheap to repair as regular amps, which is why I was considering repairing the bass amp above.

3: I have a 30 watt rack mount power amp - can I use this for anything at all or is there just not enough power?

• Members

1: Can I use an old Laney bass amp to run a couple of monitors in a vocal only PA? (200 watt per side FOH) It's 120 watt which really isn't enough to run my bass through effectively. That would free up a 300 watt per side amp for the vocal drum fill and bass. (the drum fill needs to be louder - he is the lead vocalist).

Hmmm....I wouldn't. 120w ain't much. Probably not worth it, and not necessarily what is was designed to do. Sounds like a recipe for broken gear. Someone else might have more insightful things to say.

3: I have a 30 watt rack mount power amp - can I use this for anything at all or is there just not enough power?

You could power a small guitar cab with it...I wouldn't try much else with it. That's just not much power.

• Members

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin

You could power a small guitar cab with it...I wouldn't try much else with it. That's just not much power.

I have guitar amps for that, I got it for nothing a couple of years ago and I wondered if it has any use beyond speech. (3 xlr inputs - sold as a powered mixer :))

• Members

I just remembered - I have one more choice in amps.

Old fender super twin (180watts into 4 ohm 395 watt peak all valve, normal 3 band Eq + 5 band eq).

If I have to I can bring that along as a backup ampl - it's definately loud enough to monitor with. I could probably run a couple of wedges off it if I had to (instead of the internal speakers).

Opinions?

Archived