Best In Ear Monitors??

• Moderators

After researching this myself not so long ago, my vote (and my money) went to Shure.

I tried the Sennheiser's out, and agreed with what several other people had already told me. The Senns are ok, but the earbuds weren't as good as the Shures. This was a year or so ago, and someone on this forum said the earbuds have been upgraded, so maybe that warning doesn't apply anymore.

Even so, I would still go with the Shures if I were you.

At the time I asked myself a few questions:

To make a long story short, I don't know if Sennheiser will be making IEMs down the road, the vast majority of IEM units out there are made by Shure. Both sound pretty good (Nady is another story), at least after you replace the Senn's earbuds, but then the price is comparable. I know from past experience I can rely on Shure for after the sale service, and quick turnaround on any needed repairs. If I have a unit go out at a big multiband show, or don't have enough belt packs or transmitters, the odds are a lot higher I can borrow a Shure system that is compatible from another band.

About the only things I found in favor of the Senns is that they sound decent, and have a metal case for the belt pack as opposed to the (high impact) plastic of the Shures.

I've now used PSM400 systems and PSM200 systems for over a hundred shows, I'd estimate (some shows are still done with wedges). All my gear is still working, haven't even broken a earbud cable, though I suspect from past experience with other IEM gear that's probably inevitiable. I've had a couple of things stolen, but no broken gear.

I do go through a lot of "foamies" (ear bud covers), but that's because I do a lot of different bands and nobody wants to stick someone else's ear wax in their ear. Eeeew! :D

When I bought my first Shure IEMs, only the PSM400 and PSM600 systems were available. Now, the PSM200 system is out, and if you don't insist on stereo it's the cheapest high quality system out there, so far as I know. Even comes with a little mixer built into the transmitter, which is especially handy for solo acts, duos, or any situation where you want some control of the monitor mix from the stage.

That's my experience, for whatever it's worth.

Terry D.

• Members

Mr. Knobs:

What are you getting for rent on the IEMs? I'm looking to buy a couple to provide bands with some "value added" services. That said, I really don't a reference for pricing... I was thinking along the lines of $50.00 / night plus the cost of the disposable earbuds...

Mike

• Moderators

Originally posted by Drumtech

Mr. Knobs:

What are you getting for rent on the IEMs? I'm looking to buy a couple to provide bands with some "value added" services. That said, I really don't a reference for pricing... I was thinking along the lines of $50.00 / night plus the cost of the disposable earbuds...

Mike

Hmm..... I hadn't thought of that, I just offer them instead of wedges so I can carry less heavy crap (wedges + power amps). But that's if I bring my whole rig.

More and more, I work shows where I don't provide the FOH or monitor system, I just mix on an existing club or tour system. Even then, I offer the IEMs (the main band I work for has their own IEM system) without any specific "rental," I just charge for mixing.

Maybe I'm missing out here. Austin club bands can't afford much, though.

Of course I use them with my own band a lot, both with my PA and with house PAs. The latter is a lifesaver at times.

I sometimes play with my full band, but often with just the other two singers in a coffee house situation, where the PSM200s really shine. Those places usually have a powered head and two main speakers, no monitors at all. If there's no AUX mix on the board, I'll generally run the mikes through a PSM200 transmixer on the way to the mixer, and run a mult of the "house mix" to each PSM200. That way each person can turn up the "more me" on their own box.

Terry D.

Archived