Looking for 1 good mixer, 1 good cab - upgrade later

• Members

I'm starting out and are looking for a decent mixer and single cabinet for practice. Guitar duo - 2 mics and 2 guitars. We are planning on playing out at a small bar but the other group is providing the sound. So this is just for practice but in case I needed to use my own stuff for a small gig I could always pick up a second cab and a monitor.

There's a Guitar Center and a Sam Ash here in Cincinnati.

I was looking at the Yamaha - MG12/4 Mixer $199

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=25805&TempID=13&Method=3&CategoryID=100&BrandID=0&PriceRangeID=0&PageNum=0&DepartmentID=5&DepartmentKeeper=5&pagesize=15&SortMethod=6&Word1=&Contains=&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=nonetodaythanks

And maybe either a Yamaha - S112-IV 12" ($279)

Thanks,

Scott

• Members

What do you have in the way of a power amp?

A setup of a single Yamaha club 15 and that Behringer mixer will do fine - although the mixer may be overkill for your group.

If your power amp is stereo, just run the Yamaha from one side and a monitor or two (up to four max, if your amp is rated to 2ohms) from the other side.

If you ever get to the point where you need monitor, a good monitor is the Community MVP28 (12'') and the MVP38 (15''). They can be found here.

The Yamahas are great cabinets. I use a pair powered by an RMX1850HD and they sound pretty darn good.

• Members
  • Members

The 1850 in stereo mode just about right for it, assuming you use only one channel for the speaker and don't bridge it.

Some people here have recommended running an RMX850 bridged into their two cabinets; giving each one 400 watts. That's something to consider; as it's $200 less than an 1850HD.

• Members

Oh yeah--if you choose to go with an RMX850 and bridge it into one (for now, two later) Yamaha 15s, you will need another power amp if you ever want to add monitors.

With the 1850 you can daisy-chain two Yamahas from one side of the amp and daisy-chain monitors off the other side.

• Members

another suggestion is that you get a powered mixer. peavey, yamaha, even behringer, all worth looking at. for the speaker, i'd recommend one with a 12" driver - it'll sound a lot smoother and tighter, and you dont really want 15" unless you're trying to push bass and/or kick as well. in fact, if you decided to buy a monitor, a 10" one would be really good.

dont forget the speaker cable(s). plus, mics/clips/stands/cables, and DI boxes for the guitars. im assuming you have some of these items.

hope this helps!

AS

• Members

I'd recommend the QSC 1450 since the difference stereo per channel really isn't much. 450w @ 4oh vs. 600w @ 4 ohms. When upgrading, look at the 2450 for mains and keep the 1450 for monitors. I bought a 1450 when they first came out, it's collecting dust because I have two other monitor amps that are lightweight and easier to carry. Although the main/sub amp is 70lbs.

The yamaha board is a good value, buy a little more board than you need, expanding gets easier that way. You may want to look at the mackie 1402vlzpro or the new spirit boards that came out, both have internal power supplies. I hate wall warts, and the yamaha and behringer both have big ones.

pete

• Members

I'm not really familiar with this stuff, but is it hard to get the monitors and the cabs both out of the 1850? If I'm going to need seperate power amps for the monitors and the cabs, I'll probably just buy 850 and a monitor now to practice with, then later I'll just add the 1850 (or 2450) and the yamaha cabs.

Looking over the other threads a lot of people recomend the Community MVP monitors so I think I'll check into those.

Thanks again everyone!

Scott

Archived