Trigger setup for playing live

• Members

my band is considering buying drum triggers for playing live shows.

So what do we need?

a drum module + the triggers + the cables? Is that all?

Is the alesis dm5 ok for a metal band ? Or are there better drum brains ?

Is Ddrum the best? (are ddt triggers any good?)

• Members

Ddrum has some very good triggers, don't waste your money on cheap triggers. We have the Ddrum XLR triggers and they are easily repaired when the transducer begins to fail. If you're good with a solder iron, you can get (or order) the transducers from your local music store which sold you the triggers.

The DM5 has 1/4" trigger inputs(I think many modules do)so if you go with the XLR triggers, a snake with female XLR to a Balanced (TRS)1/4" plug. With this setup you can even place your module at the board, connect the triggers through the mic snake and at the board connect your module interface snake. The sound man then has the ability to mix for you. Of course seperate your kick and snare to their own outputs, toms panned in stereo out of the other output pair.

As far as if a module has the sounds for your drummer, check them out, the alesis has a lot of drums sounds, even a metallica style kick drum sound.

Don't rule out any of the Roland TD Series, I used a DM5 for years and was so impressed with the TD8 that it quickly replaced our Alesis.

hope this helps

Rocksld

• Members

I just went through this with our band. I'll share what we did and why.

Looked for the cheap alternative (used Yamaha DTXpress II), but figured out there isn't really a cheap solution if you are gigging.

Ended up with a Hart Studio 6.4 kit (mesh heads, 4 toms, 2 chokable crash cymbals, ride, hat, kick, 13" real snare with stand).

The module is the important part. Once I decided the Yamaha kit wasn't going to cut it, I began looking at the Roland modules. Was going to get the TD-6, BUT - there are only 2 outputs with that module. You will find all the cheap modules are 2 output only. Ended up with a Roland TD-8. It has 4 assignable outputs. So now the engineer can mix snare, kick, toms, cymbals on separate channels.

The only downside is that the cymbal volumes are not independant except from the module. Not a big deal. The first time you use a kit you'll have to get with the engineer and find out which cymbals need to come up or down on the kit. You adjust and then don't really have to worry about it after that. Also found it odd that you can't use the "ambience" effects of the module when assigning them separately.

The whole shabang was a little under $2K. Sounds very nice though

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

I just went through this with our band. I'll share what we did and why.

Looked for the cheap alternative (used Yamaha DTXpress II), but figured out there isn't really a cheap solution if you are gigging.

Ended up with a Hart Studio 6.4 kit (mesh heads, 4 toms, 2 chokable crash cymbals, ride, hat, kick, 13" real snare with stand).

The module is the important part. Once I decided the Yamaha kit wasn't going to cut it, I began looking at the Roland modules. Was going to get the TD-6, BUT - there are only 2 outputs with that module. You will find all the cheap modules are 2 output only. Ended up with a Roland TD-8. It has 4 assignable outputs. So now the engineer can mix snare, kick, toms, cymbals on separate channels.

The only downside is that the cymbal volumes are not independant except from the module. Not a big deal. The first time you use a kit you'll have to get with the engineer and find out which cymbals need to come up or down on the kit. You adjust and then don't really have to worry about it after that. Also found it odd that you can't use the "ambience" effects of the module when assigning them separately.

The whole shabang was a little under $2K. Sounds very nice though

you use an electronic drum kit, the Hart Studio 6.4 kit. Our aim is to keep on using the acoustic drums but trigger it. So the ddrum redshot triggers plus an Alesis Dm5 drum module sounds ok to me. nevertheless, why did you decide the Yamaha drum module wasn't going to cut it ?

• Members

Doesn't matter whether you trigger or use a dedicated electronic set. In the end it's all triggers. My point is, for extensive use as a live sound set you want as much control of the output as possible. I just looked up the DM5 and see that there are indeed 4 separate outputs. That should suffice and give some control to the FOH engineer. I have to believe the Roland units sound much better, but haven't heard the Alesis so I can't say for sure.

• Members

I own both the DM5 and the TD8, and the TD8 sounds more realilstic. The DM5 stays home while the TD8 goes out every weekend. Don't get me wrong the DM5 sounds good too(also has 4 outputs)I just won't sell it because I use it in my home studio and if anything goes wrong and I need a back up I know the DM5 will do the job.

Our band has always used a mix of triggers and mic's, as far as cymbals go with an accoustic set, throw an overhead mic up if you need one. I also do live sound and the TD8 is a lifesaver when you get a bad sounding drum set.

I mix the kick drum with the TD8 sound and an Audix D6

Depending on the kit, I may use Beta 56's on the toms or go all trigger.

The snare I mix, a Shure 57 and the TD8 sound (if needed)

When setting up the module to your accoustic set, be sure to pitch your tones to match your accoustic drums- this makes for an even more convincing sound.

Rocksld

• Members

Originally posted by rocksld

Our band has always used a mix of triggers and mic's, as far as cymbals go with an accoustic set, throw an overhead mic up if you need one. I also do live sound and the TD8 is a lifesaver when you get a bad sounding drum set.

Rocksld

Lol, I used to carry a DM5 in my FOH rack for those times I'd run into a drummer who didn't know how to tune or didn't belive in changing his heads. I just used mics as the triggers, it works ok most of the time. It was always funny when the drummer comes up at the end of the gig and says "Wow, my drums sounded great!" not realizing that it was all the DM5.

Archived