Crown I-Tech

• Members

Yeah, this is purely just for my own interest, but whats the deal with these new power amps from Crown? They seem to produce more power output (watts) at 4 ohms than 2 ohms or 8 ohms, and appear to connect to other PA equipment via ethernet?

I did a search and cant find any mention of them on this forum, so i reckon they must be pretty new. Would i be right in thinking they're class D amps? And where are we going to find speakers that'll support 4000w/cab? ;)

Looks like pretty s**t hot technology if its all its cracked up to be, I wonder what the sound quality'll be like, what with it being all-digital and everything.

http://www.crownaudio.com

Steve.

• Members

Less power at 2 ohms is not uncommon, just means it is in current limiting to protect the outputs. This also allows smaller heatsinks and using a smaller number of output devices among other things.

The engineer in me finds it interesting that they only spec'd crosstalk and cmrr up to 1kHz. That's about where things usually start going bad. It's easy to get good numbers below that.

I also hate A-weighted SNR specs, filters out all the bad stuff.

Given all that, it is still pretty impressive. The pricetag will probably be quite impressive, as well.

SoundMan

Archived