Rewiring my Yorkvilles for DBX driverack

• Members

I have a set of Yorkville Elites, 1" horn, 2x15", 2x18" subs. For power, I've been using 2 Audio Pro 3000s. All of this goes through a Yorkville processor. I recently bought an Audio Pro 3400 (for subs) and I would like to get the whole rig tri-amped (right now, I can only get bi-amping). My question is, the elite speakers have protection built into them. If I bypass the protection and use the limiters on the DBX driverack does that offer enough protection or is this entire concept just a foolish idea?

• Members

What tops are they? The only elites (that I know of that fit that desc.) are the E215's, which are bi-ampable (Hi/Lo output on the processor), plus with the subs, is a tri-amp system.

The only other box yorkie made in a 2x15+1" is TL3215/TL3252 and PL3215 which are all in the pulse series (the TL's replaced the PL).

The only elite boxes that aren't biampable (just the box) are the E10, and the E210 (and processors: EP10, EP160, EP600, EP210)

• Members

In Biamp mode the protection circuitry is still present. You would have to physically go inside and modify your cabinets to remove it from the signal.

It is your choice if you wish to modify your systems built in internal protection in favour of a programmed one in the Driverack. I would not call you foolish to do this, but if you do not know how to properly set up and adjust the limiter for your system you risk damaging the horn. If you leave the protection their, and just add the DR's limiter to furtehr augment things you will be alot more, well, protected.

The 1004's are a "3-way" box in that there is tweeters too. But they always remain in circuit with the compression driver, they are never isolated, biamp mode is just that, a signal split in two.

• Members

Hello Shale Leech and a big WELCOME to Harmony-Central. There are a lot of Yorkie users and advocates here and perhaps many potential future Yorkville users too (such as MI gear users who are learning more and want to upgrade to pro or semi-pro gear.)

Actually, a short while ago, I mentioned that someone should invite you on over since I've noticed that you do actively participate on the LAB also. So, it's real good to see you here and hope you stick around.

Kenny "I like B&C" Keys

• Members

thanks for the replies! I have the older version of the E2152 which uses a 1" horn and the older version of the LS152 for subs. For now my plan is to just use the driverack in bi-amp mode. I do have another question for Shale (or anyone else). I'm gettin' tried of humpin' those stacks all over the Bay Area with my horn band. Weddings, Company parties is about a big as it gets so.... what about 2 U15's on poles for the tops and just one of those powered 18s for the bottom. I guess my question here is i'm fairley certain the u15's are fantastic but can I get away with just the one sub?

• Members

Originally posted by postbop64

I'm gettin' tried of humpin' those stacks all over the Bay Area with my horn band..... what about 2 U15's on poles for the tops and just one of those powered 18s for the bottom. I guess my question here is i'm fairley certain the u15's are fantastic but can I get away with just the one sub?

Typically I would reccomend a 1/1 ratio for the U15 with those subs. The U15 is a 800 watt box in full range, 800/200 in biamp mode. Depending on the type of music you are playing, and how driving you like your bass to be, you might get away with one sub for 2 tops. In use around here for demos and such I use one U15 and 1 LS1208 per side, to give you an idea of a typical "Yorkville reccomended" setup.

Even if you did lug around a pair of subs, the U15's are so much more physically smaller, and lighter. One E2152 is about 7lbs heavier than two U15's, and occupies less physical space in terms of total volume.

Then there is the matter of the dramatically improved sound. Ultimately it comes down to budget and personal tastes. I would suggest you try and get your hands on a pair of U15's and give them a go for a weekend, you never know what is right for you until you try it.

Archived