EQ for drums

• Members

Hi, Long time listener first time poster.

I really need your help, I've been asked to do a gig for a local band which includes the micing up and EQ'ing of drums.

Can you give me some suggested settings (yes I know it depends on the room) to get started with as drums are my worst area.

I'll be using a A&H GL2200 and would really like a punchy kick (chest thudding but not hugely loud) and tight snare and toms.

The kit being used sounds good un-miced and I think the AKG drum mic kit will be used.

and ideas?

(+ any guides or the such like on placement or EQ)

Thanks a lot

Dave

• Members

So AKG C418's and C430's all around then??

It depends on a lot more factors than just the room, the kit, placement in the room, gear, etc.

Some tips about these mics (my observations):

C418's

---------

Small clip on condensers that clip on to most anything, but occasionally go flying during a gig. Usually it is due to improper placement, or a skin happy drummer. I generally place them on thier side on a tuning peg, extended fully outwards towards the centre of the skin. They aren't the most easisest things to line up where you want them, but generally they dictate how to mount them on the drum (ie, non swivel head, etc). Placement generally dictates how deep the rims are, as sometimes they resonate with the drum head.

They sound not too bad on anything (even snare), but it wouldn't be my first choice for a snare mic (SM57 or if budget allows beta 98).

C430's

--------

Nice small overhead. I mainly use these as hihat mics (as there only is 1 in the mic kit @ a time, unless a proper percusionist is on the bill). I'm not too fond of it in other applications, but 1/2-2/3 the way from the edge of the hihat, pointed towards the bell about 3" in height, does the trick for me. Overhead for 'toys' they do good, not great, but they work. I'd rather have a SM/Beta 81/91 rode nt5, etc.

As for eq and such, it is just a matter of doing a sweep of the mid band eq(s). I like to high pass the kick drum mic, and boost the crap with the low eq filter (generally 80hz), kinda un-conventional, but then again, its a one tone instrument (varying somewhat with drummers foot force). Free's up space for bass/keys and anything else down there. I generally scoop out low mids, and depending on the band/genre some mid hi click to taste.

Toms are a similar approach, cut the 'crap' and excentuate the tomness of the tom.

Generally I gate the kick, and depending on 'crash heaven/hell' the toms as well, but usually -10 to -20dB attenuation when the gate is closed. And also compress to taste (the resonant, not the 'clicks').

• Members

Be aware that a drum kit which sounds good accoustically may not sound as good mic'd. Kick drum is usually worst offender here. Quite often, when drummers tune their kick drum, they are listening to overtones and not the fundamental tone, resulting in a tuning far too low for PA. The end result is the subs over-excerting and sounding like crap, while you are trying to EQ lower level overtones which can lead to feedback with the PA. A fundamental tuning around 60Hz to 80Hz works well with good thump - some sort of RTA is helpful for sorting this.

If a large-diaphram AKG mic is used on the kick, get it right up inside close to beater skin, off to one side (not in middle), and pointing at where the beater hits. As for toms and snare, position the mics just over the rim and pointing towards the centre of drum - you have to compromise a little here to avoid the mics being hit. Don't forget the hi-hat - condenser mic pointing downwards at sound edge works well. Forget about overheads - usually there is plenty of spill into the tom mics unless you have these gated.

Kick EQ - pull out region around 150-200Hz for starters

As already mentioned, a lot depends on all factors, and what works in one situation can be completely different in another. Leave yourself plenty of time to soundcheck the kit.

Best of luck

Graeme

• Members

Originally posted by dannydigital

by pull out do you mean boost or cut those freqs?

im also trying to figure out how to EQ a kick drum for a good punch..

wheres the thud and wheres the pop/snap frequencey wise?

By pull out I mean to cut those frequencies. Kick drum punch is somewhere around 60 to 80Hz, depending on PA & drum tuning. As noted in my other post above, if the drum is tuned way too low, then boosting 80Hz could be boosting overtones only, and could lead to feedback to the PA trying to get enough gain. A little boost around the 2k to 3kHz mark can bring out the beater "slap" a bit more. A good compressor can also be useful on kick, but it's settings are very dependant on drum and what sound you are after.

Cheers

Archived