Shure PSM400s.... what all do we need???

• Members

Hello,

We currently have a 5-piece church band (keyboards, drums, guitar, bass, and a vocals-only) with guitarist and bassist also doing some vocals. We use a Mackie 24-Channel non-powered mixer with 4 aux outs that currently feed 2 separate monitor mixes.

We want to use ear monitors and are really considering the PSM400s. Looked through the thread hoping for specific insight but gotta admit that I'm still a bit perplexed as to how all this would tie together.

We want to completely rid ourselves of one of the monitor mixes and have the second mix shut down until we have a visiting band or singer that requires monitoring. Sort of figured that the drummer and the keyboardist don't need wireless but the other three will.

I'd like to understand how the PSM400 will fit into the picture, what all extraneous devices we'll need, how we'd control / connect everything, etc.

Is there a place online (I tried the Shure website) that provides some insight? The local guys at Guitar Center weren't much help as they seemed way too busy trying to help everyone in the store at the same time... :(

Thanks!

-Samson

• Members

the mackie board - IIRC - has 4 pre-fade aux mixes, meaning 4 monitor mixes.

i see you using 3 monitor mixes between yourself, leaving a fourth for the guest person. on the first mix, run vocals only. on the second, run instruments. get creative with the third. then let everybody use the mixmode on the PSM400s.

so your equipment list:

2ea. PSM400 wired systems (i.e. beltpack and earbuds)

2ea. PSM400 wireless systems (xmitter, beltpack, earbuds)

2ea. PSM400 wireless receivers (i.e. beltpack and earbuds)

that gives you six in-ear systems. one for each band member, and an additional set for a guest.

the transmitters all have built-in splitters, and you can easily build a couple for the wired systems. that way, the mixes can be shared across transmitter channels, and you can send signal to an amp if you (or a guest) want a wedge.

of course, this is a general half-way point. depending on your budget, you could do with less (sacrificing number of mixes), or you could get more (a transmitter to each band member, maybe a separate monitor desk/auxpander??)

hope this helps...

AS

• Members

Ok, so I've gone through the info again and I'm trying to piece a general parts list (as if I were going to proceed with the recommended configuration). Would this be correct?

4 - P4R Wireless Bodypack Receivers with earbuds

2 - P4T-BNC Wireless Transmitters

2 - P4HW Wired Bodypacks with earbuds

Would there be any need for monitor mixers, either wired or wireless? I guess I'm still trying to comprehend how exactly all this would be wired to accomplish the example you provided.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate all your assistance!

-Samson

• Members

that equipment list looks right.

you don't need a separate monitor mixer - at least, not for upto the 4 mixes your board can provide.

i think the board has subgroups - if you've got sub outs, that's more flexibility right there.

you'd need a bunch of short XLR cables to handle most of the work. i'd also recommend a few (2 - 5, or even more) of each of these:

1/4" MTRS > MXLR jumpers

XLR signal splitters (FXLR > 2xMXLR)

more short XLR (mic) cables

with that many channels (4 on the transmitters, plus upto 4 more on the two hardwired bodypacks), it's really quite flexible as to what you want to do and how you want to do it, so there's plenty of ways. that amount of flexibility is in itself a complication.

if you can figure out what each person wants to hear, and what particular instrument/source each person wants to be able to control (the level thereof in their ears), then i can give you a detailed which-aux-which-mix type thing.

let me ask you this:

- do you have subgroup outs?

- do you have channel direct outs?

both of these will go a long way. for example - the wired keyboard player can get a vocal mix in one channel, and a direct out from his keyboard's mixer channel (or even directly from the keyboard on stage) to the other channel of his beltpack, and mix to taste...

btw - this will involve extensive use of 'mixmode' on the PSM400, one of its best features!

capisce? :)

AS

• Members

Correct, the board does have sub outs although I'm not sure about the channel direct outs. Are those known by any other name, maybe? As far as I can tell there are tape out, aux returns & sends, control room out, main outs, mono main out, and that's about it.

Thanks!

-Samson

• Members

Originally posted by smartinez1984

Correct, the board does have sub outs although I'm not sure about the channel direct outs. Are those known by any other name, maybe? As far as I can tell there are tape out, aux returns & sends, control room out, main outs, mono main out, and that's about it.

Thanks!

-Samson

nope, they're definitely called direct outs. they're on each channel though - look next to the XLR input and insert jack?

AS

• Members

aah, it doesn't have direct outs.

you should still be fine with the auxes (and maybe the sub outs if need be). however, if you still want direct outs, here's a nice way that needs a bit of cable-making (i.e. soldering) skill:

buy a 1/4" TRS end, and a 1/4" TS end, and some instrument cable. build the cable like a normal guitar cable, and short the tip and ring together. plug this end into the channel insert, and voila, you've got a nice direct out.

caution though - if not done properly, you could end up having no signal going anywhere when the jack is in (i.e. you might wonder why you're not hearing anything out that particular channel, till you unplug that jack)...

AS

• Members

Thanks!

I tell you what... you gotta love the Internet sometimes, thanks for all your assistance.

I may end up posting again soon, if we decide to dish out the cash for the PSMs. But, if not, your assistance has been greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

-Samson

• Members

Originally posted by smartinez1984

Thanks!

I tell you what... you gotta love the Internet sometimes, thanks for all your assistance.

I may end up posting again soon, if we decide to dish out the cash for the PSMs. But, if not, your assistance has been greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

-Samson

Always a pleasure!

Let me add though - if you're strapped for cash, the Shure PSM200 is definitely worth looking at. I could wax eloquent on its features and uses and advantages and so on, but you're best off looking at the website, searching this forum, then asking questions... feel free!

AS

Archived