help me on rack wiring

• Members

I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I'm new at this and maybe alittle thick headed (plus I've got somebody telling me I'm wrong) so I need some help.

I've purchased the following equipment based on your guys recommendations.

Allen-Heath mixwizard 16/2

Crest CPX 2600

Crest CPX 900

Tape Deck

Speakers are:

Mains - Peavey sp2g - 350 watt rms

Subs - ? - looking into it, not 100% sure, don't want to mislead.

Monitors - 2 - Nady wedge, I believe 100 to 150 watt.

Haven't got the money for eq's yet, but was told we could live without it for awhile. Now I need to get it all wired up. Trying to figure out how to wire it all up.

Tell me if I'm right or wrong, please.

The left and right on the mixer is xlr. Go from there to where on the CPX 2600. I was wanting one channel for mains that are wired parallel, and one channel for the subs. The 2600 has a built in crossover.

The aux 1 and 2 on the mixer are 1/4 inch trs. Run from there to the CPX 900 Channel a and b, and from the Speakon outputs on the amp to the wedge monitors.

The tape deck has rca input and output. To play the tape thru the board, I'd adapt over to 1/4 inch and return it to a stereo return?

To record I would run from the 1/4 inch jacks marked a and b on the mixer to the input on the recorder?

Does this sound reasonable? Sorry to bug you guys with this, but I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks,

Rick

• Members

I've got someone telling me that we have to somehow connect the 2 amps together. This doesn't make any sense to me. Could someone explain how we would get the mains and subs wired correctly?

Thanks,

Rick R (Not Ricklaww)

• Members

You say I'll have no tone control. I'm assuming you mean no eq from the board. How would you suggest I wire it so I would have control?

Thanks for the compliment on the equipment. Since I'm just a "dumb" musician :) , I figure if I ask for expert advise, if I can, I might as well listen to it.

RickR

• Members

First off, don't listen to the guy telling you to connect the amps together. Your method of hook-up is right.

The tape deck outputs can go in a pair of channels if you have the room, if not use the stereo returns. When recording MAKE SURE the where-ever tape playback goes in the board that it is OFF. Otherwise you'll hear a nasty feedback loop.

Careful with the nady wedges, they aren't realy durable power wise. You may find yourself want to unload them for some better wedges (JBL SF12M's are cheap right now).

pete

• Members

Originally posted by Rickr

Could someone explain how we would get the mains and subs wired correctly?

Not a big deal of info on Crest's site about the crossover, and I am not sure if the "high out" sockets actually run through the crossover, but I will assume they do. To run your amp for both mains and subs, then the whole system must run in mono. If you use your left master on the desk as the main out, then connect this to amp channelA input, press the channelA crossover switch in, and then use a short 1/4" patch lead to connect channelA's "high out" socket to channelB input. Leave the crossover switch for channelB out as normal. ChannelA output will then be your subs, and channelB output would then be your mains.

Untill you actually get your subs, leave both crossover switches out (normal operation).

Cheers

• Members

Ok,

Just a couple of questions. If I am just using the left out, would I want to pan the channels hard left, or leave them at center?

I had the tape deck hooked up to 2 channels, and the peak lights go off. Do i just need to turn the tape deck down, or am I missing something?

Not to say I don't believe those who have answered, because I do, but could I get a few more people to chime in that this is the right way to do this. I want to print this and show it to the guy whose questioning my hook up.

Thanks,

Rick

• Members

Have you ever owned a power amp before? The reason I ask is becuase I was wondering what you thought of the CPX amps. I bought one (CPX900) a few years back for my bas rig. It was horrible. It would get real hot and cut out about 10-20 times per sond. NTM, that it had a reak muffled kind of sound, almost like there were no mids or highs. The next day I went out and bought a QSC PLX1602. IMO, the PLX was a 1000's better in regards to build quality and sound factors.

The reason I ask if you have ever owned another power amp was I am curious what your thoghts on the CPX line are compared to other power amps. I dont know if I had mine hooked up wrong, if it was damaged previous to or during shippping, or if it was truley a POS. If you have owned other power amps before and you feel that the CPX line is fine, disregard me. However, if this is your first power amp purchase, try to run some subs with the CPX ASAP. I would borrow, rent, or buy some subs real soon and give the amp a work-out. Do what ever you need to do to get some subs. You want to ensure that you are not going to have the problems with the amp like I had. I am not saying you bought a POS. I am merely trying to offer you some sound advice based on previous experience with these amps. Good luck!

• Members

Nope,

Never owned any pa equipment. Simply going by recommendations on this list. We've got subs, I just wasn't sure of the specs, so I didn't want to list something that might be wrong. I haven't hooked anything up yet. I wanted to be sure I knew what I was doing first. I'm starting to feel comfortable that I know. Just wish some more people would respond and reassure me. As soon as I do, I'll get it all hooked up and try it. Thanks for the warning.

Rick

• Members

Originally posted by g4string

Have you ever owned a power amp before? The reason I ask is becuase I was wondering what you thought of the CPX amps. I bought one (CPX900) a few years back for my bas rig. It was horrible. It would get real hot and cut out about 10-20 times per sond. NTM, that it had a reak muffled kind of sound, almost like there were no mids or highs. The next day I went out and bought a QSC PLX1602. IMO, the PLX was a 1000's better in regards to build quality and sound factors.

Sounds like you had the crossover engaged - I did that for a gig once and couldn't get any high end out of my bass. (I use a PV2000 as a bass rig).

The fact that it was cutting of means you were probably clipping it. Did you have the volume turned all the way up on the power amp? Generally it's best to control the level with your preamp and let the power amp run on full. What were you using as a preamp.

My rig is bass - 31 band eq - power amp - single speaker cab and I have no problems with it.

Archived