Adding Electyronic drums to an acoustic kit?

• Members

I'm writing this on behalf of my drummer, who is a kickass, in-the-pocket player but has such a lack of knowledge about technology he doesn't even own a computer. Thus his keyboard player is writing this on hios behalf.

We play in a popular cover rock/dance/party band and we've recently added some classic early 90's hip hop/dance matieral to our setlist. Unfortunately our drummer only plays an acoustic kit, and although he's quite ingenious on how to emulate some of the beats and percussion, the effect is lost on an acoustic kit mic'd through a PA. We were wonder about adding some triggers and a drum module (or using one of the many kits midi to my synths), but we didn't know the first place to start. Should we use triggers, pads? Do we need to use a seperate drum module or can we just use one of the banks in my many synths midi'ed?

We are obviously looking for the cheapest/easiest solution (it's more for the effect and only to be used on 2 or 3 songs) and I don't want anything that will restrain his playing style. He's an amazing drummer (was nearly signed to a major label and his brother was part of a very famous 80's band) and he certainaly doesn't need anything to assist his playing... just needs to enhance the sound out of the PA.

Ideas?

• Members

I do not know much... but I do believe that what you will want will be triggers, that can be run through a drum module...

I know of one pretty serious band, that does this,and I have heard that using triggers on an acoustic set and a drum module is be coming more comman place for many applications.

You may find that their are advantages even beyond the hip hop songs?

• Members

Forgive me, I don't really know...

but yep looks like maybe.. lookslike the triggershe might want are also listed on that page a suseful acessories or something?

I would say you are certainly headed in the right direction..

• Members

Check this: www.electronicdrums.com

Also try some drum forums. This is Live Sound.

To have just a few extra "electronic" sounds, then a pad (like the Roland above) might do it. Kat makes some of the premeir models.

To add triggers to your acoustic drums, ddrums (by Clavia Nord) are the pro's choice. The Alesis D4 and D5 are popular lower cost sound modules.

Triggers are sometimes tricky to set up and adjust. Getting realistic response is a common problem. It's also kinda weird to have a completely different sound coming out from the module compared to the acoustic sound of whichever drum your hitting.

Hope this helps.

Archived