Anyone play live alone/solo?

• Members

I don't even play in Goldendale at all. Most of my jobs are in a string of clubs and bars along the I-84 corridor from Hood River to Pendleton, and in Yakima....sometimes Tri-Cities.

I should probably re-phrase my job count...it runs that high in summer. Because of personal tragedy...my wife was killed in a traffic accident over Labor Day weekend...I've scaled way back and really only working one or two times a week right now... in rooms close in and to people I'm really comfortable with.

• Members

"Hi guys thanks for replies. I guess whaT i AM SAYING IS FOR ORIGINAL MUSIC. i PLAY ONLY ORIGINAL MUSIC. sO i WOULD BE PLAYING GUITAR AND SINGING, AND THE BACKING TRACKS WOULD INCLUDE PARTS PLAYED BY ME BUT PRE-RECORDED SUCH AS STRINGS, LOW BACKING VOCALS AND DRUM AND BASS. SORRY FOR CAPSI am at work and hiding the screen as I type.

If you were at a bar and saw this set up. Would you feel like {censored}... good singer/songwriter or what is this fake {censored}."

Have you played live yet -- or are you just starting out?

If you are just starting out my advice (for what it's worth) would be to get some experience of what it *feels* like to play in front of an audience in as *simple* a way as possible. For example, play a few covers, without backing tapes, at an open mike night. Do that for a little while, and then move on to the more complicated set up with backing tapes and so on.

I would also advise you to mix in some covers with your own material. Unless your own material is absolutely brilliant, an average audience will find it very hard going to listen to a whole session of material they haven't heard before.

Just my opinion! -- Good luck!

David

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro
I don't even play in Goldendale at all. Most of my jobs are in a string of clubs and bars along the I-84 corridor from Hood River to Pendleton, and in Yakima....sometimes Tri-Cities.

I should probably re-phrase my job count...it runs that high in summer. Because of personal tragedy...my wife was killed in a traffic accident over Labor Day weekend...I've scaled way back and really only working one or two times a week right now... in rooms close in and to people I'm really comfortable with.

I am extremely sorry to hear of your deep loss.

The reason I ask about bookings is that I wonder if it

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Wheat

"Hi guys thanks for replies. I guess whaT i AM SAYING IS FOR ORIGINAL MUSIC. i PLAY ONLY ORIGINAL MUSIC. sO i WOULD BE PLAYING GUITAR AND SINGING, AND THE BACKING TRACKS WOULD INCLUDE PARTS PLAYED BY ME BUT PRE-RECORDED SUCH AS STRINGS, LOW BACKING VOCALS AND DRUM AND BASS. SORRY FOR CAPSI am at work and hiding the screen as I type.

If you were at a bar and saw this set up. Would you feel like {censored}... good singer/songwriter or what is this fake {censored}."

Have you played live yet -- or are you just starting out?

If you are just starting out my advice (for what it's worth) would be to get some experience of what it *feels* like to play in front of an audience in as *simple* a way as possible. For example, play a few covers, without backing tapes, at an open mike night. Do that for a little while, and then move on to the more complicated set up with backing tapes and so on.

I would also advise you to mix in some covers with your own material. Unless your own material is absolutely brilliant, an average audience will find it very hard going to listen to a whole session of material they haven't heard before.

Just my opinion! -- Good luck!

David

Been doing electro originals in a duo for two years now.

The only instruments that are put on tracks are drums and bass.

All the rest (guitar, synths, vocals, pads, bras, etc ...) is played live - I mean PLAYED, not triggered !

As for reaction, there are 2 kind of people :

Those who consider you as a karaoke act and only like "real" bands, no matter what you do, play or show.

And those who don't care as long as it sounds good. As a matter of fact, the latter ones don't care either if SOME tracks are played live or NONE AT ALL

In both cases your live musician ego takes a hit ...

• Members
Originally posted by JMS 2
Been doing electro originals in a duo for two years now. The only instruments that are put on tracks are drums and bass. All the rest (guitar, synths, vocals, pads, bras, etc ...) is played live - I mean PLAYED, not triggered !

As for reaction, there are 2 kind of people : Those who consider you as a karaoke act and only like "real" bands, no matter what you do, play or show. And those who don't care as long as it sounds good. As a matter of fact, the latter ones don't care either if SOME tracks are played live or NONE AT ALL In both cases your live musician ego takes a hit ...

The reason I choose the term

Archived