Electronic Drums

• Members

Hey All,

My drummer just bought a set of Electronic Drums. I love 'em. They're especially good in our situation as we're a cover band that tries hard to sound close to the original songs and with the electronic drums, we can change the kit sounds to more closely match those of the original.

My question is this: From a live sound perspective, is there anything we need to watch out for, or any disadvantages to the electronic drums. We have not used them live yet and I don't want any suprises.

Thanks in advance... oh and by the way, I did end up purchasing a snake from Audiopile... still waiting for delivery though.

• Members

It could be a problem in a live situation if you keep changing kits. The volume and properties of the drum sounds could make your soundmans' job harder.

Other than that it's the false triggering that could pose an issue if not set up right.

• Members

You'll want a drum module with at least 4 separate outputs that go to 4 channels on the mixer. We use a Roland TD-8 and do this -

1 - kick

2 - snare

3- toms

4 - cymbals

Works OK, but it would be better to have even more. trying to level all the cymbal triggers (7 of them) is a bit tricky, especially when using multiple kits. They not only have to match volumes within a kit, but between kits as well.

We stick to 2 main kits and they biggest difference between them is the snare sound (classic rock kit & modern rock kit). They share same kick drum patch. We then have another 2-3 kits that get used once each for those "special tunes". In our case - Mony Mony, Walking On The Sun, Word Up.

I recommend starting with 1 or 2 kits the first time out. As you get comfortable, add a few "effect" kits.

• Members

I wouldn't go changing drum kits in a cover band - the crowd are never going to know the difference.

The advantage to electronic drums is in stage volume, and overall volume - not in extra sound (except for special effects like gongs or cowbells etc.).

The thing that you have to watch is setting up components to close to each other etc. On a really small stage electronic drums could be difficult.

I wish I was in a band with electronic drums again - I hate wearing earplugs to rehearsals.

• Members

Our drummer has the Roland V Drums with the TD-8 module, and they are far and away much better to mix in the studio, rehearsal, and live, than the acoustic sets. We are trying to find an excuse to get the newer set with the TD-20 brain and the frame with all the wiring inside. Soundmen get us set up in a hurry.

Archived