Direct Boxes active/passive?

• Members

Just wondering what advantages there are to having an active direct box?

What other features do you look for in a direct box?

What direct boxes do you usually use? has anyone had a problem with going with cheaper direct boxes (like ones from ART or horizon) ?

Guest Anonymous

jlliu59: This subject has been pretty well covered here and there's extensive discussions in the archives.

The short answer:

Active pickups are typically well served with a Passive DI.

Passive pickups are sometimes better served with an Active DI.

A good passive DI is possibly better than a cheap active DI.

A passive DI is less problematic from the standpoint of not needing power.

An active DI is considerably more expensive than a compairable quality passive DI.

The key to good sound in either an active or passive DI is the make-up of the transformer used. A high nickle alloy transfromer core is generally preferred.

As far a features:

1) Good sound (you'll have to be the judge of that).

2) Duribility.

3) Proper construction (some DI's will "brown out" a board with global phantom power).

4) A ground lift switch (properly labeled) is a must.

5) A price thats acceptable to your budget.

6) Possibly attenuation controls suitable to your application.

• Members

My knowlege of the technical aspects is no where near that of Mark's but I can contribute the following:

1) Whirlwind EDB-1's have worked adequately for me for several years. It is a simple passive direct box with attenuator and ground lift. I use them for connecting keyboards and guitar processors to the snake. I've had one of four fail on me.

2) I recently bought a Rolls (model unknown) because I needed one now and didn't have anything else available. Same features as the Whirlwind, seems to work fine, but it isn't as heavily built as the Whirlwind and the jacks don't fit as tightly.

3) For an acoustic guitar, you simmply can't beat a Baggs ParaAcoustic DI.

• Members

I've got a couple of the EWI active DI's sold by Audiopile, and they're a solid value.

In general it's easy enough to use actives for just about everything these days. That's because phantom power is readily available. On some occasions a passive DI will provide better grounding isolation, so it's worth have one in the bag as a backup.

• Members

Originally posted by Jlliu59

I have a few active behringer DIs, but haven't liked them too much. Most my stuff is active, and I don't want to deal with switching batteries.

I'll check out the Whirlwinds and EMIs.

The Behringer DI's can use phantom power, if you've got it. Never change a battery again! :)

Archived