The battle for powered speakers.....

• Members

Alright....I'm trying to get myself a nice setup for acoustic/singing solo. I've had decent and crappy setups before. So I think my main goal is to spend a little more money and be completely satisfied with my sound. The other issue, obviously, is size and weight.

As for right now, I want to decide on a set of powered speakers....preferably 2-way 12". That seems to be the best bet for me. I've narrowed it down to 3 different speakers and I need some inputs. Give me all the good, bad and ugly on each that you know of.

#1. Yorkville NX750P

Well I've never dealt with Yorkees personally, but have heard nothing but good about them. So shoot whatever you can at me about them. They seem to be good as far as size/weight and power handling capability. And I'm suprised that they are comparable in price range.

#2. Mackie SRM450

I read some good reviews about these on the Musicians friend/American Musical Supply sites. But from what I am reading on here...they have some thermal problems? So they sound good, but unreliable? What do you think?

#3. Peavey Impulse 1012P

Ok...I have to admit. These are kinda pricey for peavey. But I do like the idea of their RX-22 2" Driver. Lots of power too. But I have never heard them....so who knows? The only thing I know is I have dealt with Peavey in the past and they have been great about repairs (given that the product fails at all).

Any suggestions? Or any other speakers I should consider?

Thanks!

• Members

My vote 100% is for the Yorkville. :thu: I have two Yorkville keyboard amps and for a while considered using the NX550P as a keyboard monitor. I had previously tried out an SRM450 (which sounded like mud) and a JBL EON G2 which seemed overpriced. I reented a NX550P and it sounded great. Nice clarity and full sound.

The SRM450's are prone to thermal problems... and not to offend any owners but I don't think they sound great either... not for the price they charge. You can certainly do better by looking at the JBL EON's. Although my vote still goes out to Yorkville. They take alot of pride in producing a well built, great sounding speaker at an affordable price. We just bought a pair of EF500P's and LS800P's and they just kick ass!!!

Archived