Simplified rig for small jobs

• Members

I would like to try a simple set up for our small shows.

I would like to try just using JBL 715's w/ PLX3402 in stereo for 3 vocals and guitar synth.

Two monitors, Peavey TNT 100 bass amp, 2 Guitars, Drums.

I would like to try a little bass and kick in the mix.

Anything else to get the most out of a spartan system?

Thanks.

• Members

- If your board has inserts, compress the vocals. It'll help bring them out.

- I don't see any mention of monitors. A good 31-band GEQ on each monitor channel will help notch out feedback, especially on smaller stages.

- Don't try to boost LF on the kick and bass (unless you're using only a tiny amount in the mix) - instead, boost the click/attack. It'll help you hear them better without taxing your system.

- High pass vocals and the guitar synth - they don't contain much useful information below 80Hz (or 100Hz), and the speakers don't want to go that low anyway.

- If the band is good with keeping stage levels down, try and mic the guitar amp (I take it you have one guitar synth and one mic'ed amp?). That way, you have the option of adding guitar to the mix if needed.

- Hope this helps!

AS

• Members

Originally posted by ashivraj

- Don't try to boost LF on the kick and bass (unless you're using only a tiny amount in the mix) - instead, boost the click/attack. It'll help you hear them better without taxing your system.

+1. I was advised the same thing on this forum once, I found this very helpful mixing on a small installed club system over the past year.

• Members

We have been using my Yamaha club IV's for monitor with GEQ for each. I will try my cheaper Madison's because they are lighter.

I have been compressing the kick and bass, but I might play with vocal compression... (play is about right)...

Any thoughts on the MIXWIZ channel EQ for kick drum?

Archived