Anyone use Yamaha MSR 400's?

• Members

Has anyone here had experience with Yamaha's MSR 400 powered PA speakers? Looking to purchase these and perhaps a Mackie/Yamaha board for a band that has 2 acoustic guitars/electric bass/Drums and 4 vocalists. Any suggestions? We play mostly smaller clubs.

• Members

Originally posted by drrocko

Looking to purchase these and perhaps a Mackie/Yamaha board for a band that has 2 acoustic guitars/electric bass/Drums and 4 vocalists. Any suggestions? We play mostly smaller clubs.

I have not had personal experience with these specific Yamaha speakers, however I looked at them once also. Their specs show that they are a great speaker, however they are not very powerful overall with only a max SPL of 121dB.

However, I would spend a little extra money if you are stuck on active speakers and get the Mackie SRM-450s, which are Active 12" Speakers with a max SPL of 127dB. I have had personal experience with these speakers: I used a pair of these speakers for a couple bigger gigs I did once as backup speakers to add more sound to my setup. These are amazing speakers, always performing very well, and I may pick up 4 of these if I ever sell my current passive setup. I have also been to numerous DJ and band gigs myself where the setup used ranged anywhere from 2 to 8 of these speakers, and every one of those gigs had amazing sound and strength.

These speakers normally run for about $700 each. If that extra $300 is in your budget, I would highly suggest upgrading to these speakers because it would increase your sound output and clarity greatly, add more power and "umph" to your setup, and improve your low end bass with the better feedback-controlled long-throw 12" woofers in them.

Specs:

A formidable yet compact monitor!

The Mackie SRM450 Powered Monitor is a great PA speaker that gives bands studio-quality sound onstage. It's a 2-way, biamplified, optimized active system that needs no external power amp. Powered by FR series 300W (for lows) and 100W (for highs) amps; with a Linkwitz-Riley electronic crossover; a 300mm (12") long-throw, low-frequency transducer; precision titanium compression driver; and a maximum dispersion horn. Uses Mackie's Servo Feedback Controlled Woofer technology. 51 lbs.

Mackie SRM450 Powered Monitor Features:

2-way biamped monitor

Active with 300W for lows and 100W for highs

Linkwitz-Riley crossover

12" woofer

Titanium HF driver with wide-dispersion horn

The perfect compact speaker for small venues or standalone stage monitor for large halls. You won't beat the price, we guarantee it. Order now.

Specs and Docs:

http://mackie.com/products/srm450/

Hands On Review: Mackie Get Active!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docu...id=82034&g=live

However, if your bass drum kick starts going from a "boom" or a "thump" to a "tick" at gigs, then you need more bass. You might want to pickup a nice subwoofer or two to improve your bass on top of the Mackie SRM-450's if this is the case.

Archived