Help w/ matching EAW tops w/ EV Subs

• Members

I have a pair of EAW LA212's for smaller gigs with my commercial horn band. There's a pair of EV sb120a's for sale in the area and before I consider getting into such a purchase I thought I would consult with the Live sound forum brain trust. Here's a few questions I hope some of you can help answer. 1) The EV sb120a is a discountinued product anyone know why? Are there any known problems with these? 2) How well would these match up with my EAW's? Most of the gigs I do are country club and hotel ball rooms. For me quality is much more important than quantity. Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Members

So, are you saying the sb120a dosen't sound good or perhaps it won't be able t keep up with my EAW's. I looked at your suggestion of the iforce. It looks like it can put out big time but it's almost 100 lbs and the 18" cabs can be just kind of big. So I guess what I'm looking for is a compact powered sub that's not an 18", that doesn't weigh more than 60lbs (or so) and that's as compact as possible. That's why I thought those sb120a's would match at least resonable well. I would like to use powered subs only because I could cut down on weight in the amp rack and by using the activie sub. In this way, I'm only bringing in the amp when I'm bringing in the sub. So back to the sb120a, have you actually used this one on various jobs? Agian any response is great.

• Members

Originally posted by postbop64

So, are you saying the sb120a dosen't sound good or perhaps it won't be able t keep up with my EAW's. I looked at your suggestion of the iforce. It looks like it can put out big time but it's almost 100 lbs and the 18" cabs can be just kind of big. So I guess what I'm looking for is a compact powered sub that's not an 18", that doesn't weigh more than 60lbs (or so) and that's as compact as possible. That's why I thought those sb120a's would match at least resonable well. I would like to use powered subs only because I could cut down on weight in the amp rack and by using the activie sub. In this way, I'm only bringing in the amp when I'm bringing in the sub. So back to the sb120a, have you actually used this one on various jobs? Agian any response is great.

I think you are asking a bit much with regard to size and weight. Good low frequency performance requires a certain amount cabinet volume and driver sturdiness, all of which translate directly to size and mass. You're also looking for a powered cab which must house the amplifier, as well (Take a look at the weight of most good power amps).

The Yorkville LS700P is highly regarded around these parts as packing decent punch into a compact powered enclosure.

Archived