DBX 223xl users - please advise me.....

• Members

I just bought a DBX 223xl and read the inst booklet, but to a newbie like me it's still confusing so I'm asking for help. What is most unclear is the many combinations of stereo/mono modes and low/mid/high settings etc.

I have ONE subwoofer (JBL two-15" 4 ohm, 500 watts) and for the mains I have two Yamaha C115v mains at 400 watts each. I plan on driving the sub with one side of a QSR2450 and the monitors with the other side, leaving the other QSR2450 to drive the Yamahas, one on each channel.

Please tell me the appropriate way to wire this crossover. I would really appreciate your help.

Tony in Tampa

• Members

Well it kind of depends on how you want to wire your system.

The 223 is a two way stereo, or three way mono device. Since you sound like you're only using sub and mains, you'll be using the two-way operation.

What type of board do you have? Do you have any stereo panning, or is mono signal to the PA system ok?

Depending on how you want to hook the 223 up, you could do a stereo (L and R channels) two way system with combined mono sub channel, or simply just use one side of the 223 for a mono low/high output.

Clear as mud?

If it were me, I like having stereo capability even if I don't use it. It provides redundant channel if either the main L or R takes a crap. Or if I'm running some CD material I'll pan it a little.

So, if it were me, I would take the L and R outputs of the board to a main graphic eq (if you have one). From the outputs of the main eq, the L/R channels are connected to the inputs of the 223XL. If you don't have a mains eq, the L/R outputs of the mixer can go right into Ch1 and Ch2 INPUTS on the 223.

Read the labeling on TOP of the XLR connectors- that is for two-way stereo mode. The labeling on the bottom of the XLR connectors is for mono three way mode.

Put the 223 into stereo two way mode (MODE switch on the back). Make sure the x1/x10 switch on the back is in the x1 position. Depress the LF SUM switch so that the L/R low freq content are summed together (since you are only using one sub).

The sum is sent to channel one

Archived