Pole mounting SP-2 to SP-118

• Members

My Brothers,

What diameter pole mount will fit between my Peavey SP-2's and SP-118's? The manual does not give an exact dimension. What distance should I maintain from the top of the SP-118 to the bottom of the SP-2? I'm trying to eliminate the tripod stands for the SP-2's.

The SP-118's will sit on the floor.

Thanks,

• Members

1 & 3/8" is the standard and what Peavey uses. Measure your sub's height and the SP2's height to the bottom of the horn. Or just stack them and measure once ;>)

Take a tape measure and figure a tall guy IN A COWBOY HAT for total height.

Add about 3" per speaker cup for 6".

Then subtract the height of the floor sub bottom to the bottom of the horns.

The cowboy hat is a serious consideration.

I ended up cutting some off the poles I got to fit in most places AND even got some 18" poles for the real low overhead joints. Stayed with aluminum so thay are light and thrown in one of the mic stand bags.

The Yorkville adjustable poles are nice if you have LOW subs and SMALL tops. They don't adjust that short, they are over 3' collapsed. I wouldn't want SP2s being up real high.

Boomer

• Members

The Yorkville adjustable poles are nice if you have LOW subs and SMALL tops. They don't adjust that short, they are over 3' collapsed. I wouldn't want SP2s being up real high.

Boomer

Good points.

The Peavey SP118x is 30 3/4 " tall.

The Peavey SP2 is also 30 3/4" tall (I didn't realize they were the same height)

Some quick math has them at 61 1/2 inches stacked. The horn would be at about 60 inches or so which is 5 feet.

Given that you'll need a pole that is about 2ft plus the depth of the pole sockets in the sub and the top speaker. If I recall, the SP118 has unusually deep pole sockets. In any event the shortest length of the Yorkville adjustable poles may indeed be too tall for you. Probably better to get some straight aluminum poles as Boomer mentions and cut them to size.

• Members

Some quick math has them at 61 1/2 inches stacked. The horn would be at about 60 inches or so which is 5 feet.

Given that you'll need a pole that is about 2ft plus the depth of the pole sockets in the sub and the top speaker. If I recall, the SP118 has unusually deep pole sockets.

Good logic but I don't think you really meant the horn was 1.5" tall. I'd guesstimate a 36" straight pole would be about right allowing for the slop in the speaker cups.

Same heights makes for a great truck/trailer load ;>)

boomerweps

• Members

Good logic but I don't think you really meant the horn was 1.5" tall. I'd guesstimate a 36" straight pole would be about right allowing for the slop in the speaker cups.

Same heights makes for a great truck/trailer load ;>)

boomerweps

Nahhh...I didn't mean that the horn was 1.5 " tall...although re-reading my post...I don't know what I was saying. :) I was just saying that if you stacked the SP2 on top of the SP118, the top of the pile would be 61 1/2 inches tall (approx). The horn is on the top of the main speaker, but you need to get more than just the top of the speaker over the cowboy hats.;) Anyway...about a 3' pole may be right which will probably get those horns up over 7'.

• Members

My SP2/SP118 stack uses a Peavey 2-pole configuration. The first pole slips all the way down into the sub and the second pole slips into the first pole. It seems to make a more stable mount, but there is still a little slop. IIRC, the distance between the sub/satellite is about 24".

Hope this helps.

DT

• Members

My SP2/SP118 stack uses a Peavey 2-pole configuration. The first pole slips all the way down into the sub and the second pole slips into the first pole. It seems to make a more stable mount, but there is still a little slop. IIRC, the distance between the sub/satellite is about 24".

Hope this helps.

DT

So are you saying that the pole goes in the whole depth of your sub?

Or that the bottom of the two poles is bigger aroundso the inner slips down the whole length?

Usually the the two piece poles have the lower pole's bottom swaged (or compressed) thinner to the standard 1 & 3/8" size, same as the inner pole's diameter. SOME 2pc poles I've found have the lower unswaged and the lower, outer pole is 1 & 1/2"

Boomerweps

Archived