basic PA questions

• Members

We use a
Phonic Helix 24 MKII
that sends 18 channels of prefader signals into Cubase (or Audacity/Kristal which are free GNU software). It's much cheaper than the Onyx and does not have the compatibility issues that the Alesis unit has. Bonus: It works great as a soundboard for a live mix.

How has this mixer been working out for you? From just glancing at it, the price seems very reasonable and if it's solid and reliable it would be a super buy! Can anyone else chime in on this mixer/firewire interface?

• Members

going back to the live sound aspect of this, I have many times heard people say that the speakers are the most important single consideration to how things will end up sounding. I am in favor of getting a single powered speaker, the best you can afford, and a simple mixer. This will culminate in your eventually getting a second speaker, and at that point, you will have a pretty good sounding system for a little acoustic act.

This might be a mixer that would actually work out alright for you:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PV8

I believe that a cheap mixer would hurt you a lot less than a cheap speaker.

Here is another one that you might be interested in... (W/ a usb):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MultiMix8USB/

There are several others that might be interting here, as you scroll down:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category.php?&c=264&sb=catalogprice&so=asc

• Members

going back to the live sound aspect of this, I have many times heard people say that the speakers are the most important single consideration to how things will end up sounding. I am in favor of getting a single powered speaker, the best you can afford, and a simple mixer. This will culminate in your eventually getting a second speaker, and at that point, you will have a pretty good sounding system for a little acoustic act.

The speaker I'm intending on going with is the Yorkville NX55P. I've seen it for $665. Is there a different speaker you'd recommend?

• Members

How has this mixer been working out for you? From just glancing at it, the price seems very reasonable and if it's solid and reliable it would be a super buy! Can anyone else chime in on this mixer/firewire interface?

I've had great luck with the Helix board. I've hooked it up with both my laptop and desktop with no connectivity issues. Both computers recognized the board immediately after I installed the drivers. You get 16 separate channels (plus L/R) for a total of 18 simultaneous lines into the computer. We've done some live recording and it has done an admirable job. The pre's are quiet enough in my opinion to make it a usable board for demos or semi-professional recordings.

For live use, it's very just like any other mixing board with plenty of routing options. The built-in effects are passable, even though I use a different processor for that. It has 6 (really 4) aux channels (for our active monitor mixes) and 4 groups (which is great for submixing my drumkit).

I've had a Phonic board for 10-15 years and never once have had a problem with it, so I had no problem buying this board. Notwithstanding it has a three year warranty.

Archived