Building a sound system

• Members

Where are you located? A lot of times...forumites...myself included have some stuff that we'd be willing to part with a bargain rate. Shipping makes it a pain and expensive.

Thank you, Flanc. I'm in Springfield, VA (suburb of Wash, DC.) I believe we spoke once before. You are in Maryland aren't you? In any case, I will welcome the opportunity to hear what others may be willing to discard. But, first, I want to make sure my plan is sound before parting with any of my hard earned money!

• Members

I never saw the other thread, I was out all weekend. For $2k you can get a great practice rig that can be used for most small bars, clubs or like what we do from time to time-churches, coffee shops and a few out door events. I demo'ed a pair of the HPR122i's over the weekend and they really sound great. I had compliments from both venues about the clarity and quality of the sound. The speakers are self powered with all the needed processing. Fairly light at 60 pounds and a real clean shape that can be pole mounted for live play and angled sides for floor monitors. They can get pretty loud too and still sound clean. They run about $700 bucks each and you still would have enough left over for a decent mixer. Mackie Onyz, PV FX or maybe a Mixwiz. This system can grow with you too or can be used with a rented system for the large shows. Anyway, just a thought.

• Members

It is hard to devise a plan that will really "grow" with you, and you ought to really think about where you really want to end up before you head there.

You have some good ideas, generally. I would say that like you are thinking, you can not go wrong getting a decent mic for everyone who is going to be singing, and frankly, you will save yourself some headaches if you get everyone the same mic, so that each person's mic can be treated more or less the same. It is hard to argue with a decison for a start up band to just go ahead and get shure SM 58 mics. They will be good enough that they will not hold you back, they are well known for being rugged, so they will last a while for you, and they weill be at least recognizable, and acceptable to every musician who encounters them.

The next most important thing is to recognize that your speakers are going to have more impact on the sound of your system than proabbly any other aspect of it, so get the best speakers you can afford. You will regret not getting good enough speakers.

My own system is not really big by any means, but it is "OK", and it is versatile. I have two powered subs (that are not really big enough for "full on" rock music), and six powered top cabinets. Mine are the Yorkville NX 55P cabinets, and I really like them. They are small enough to be easily managable, and big enough to be generally usable. With 6, I can use two per side for fronts, and have two for monitors, or any other set up that is required. You could do a lot worse than getting a couple of these to start with.

I like the powered speakers, because they actaully do sound good, and even as a non professional, even I can get them set up right every single time... they are self contained.

The truth is that a cheap mixer is going to have a lot less negative impact on your actual sound, than would cheap speakers, so if you have to skimp, that is where i would do my skimping. You will not get as many channels, bell and whistles, or routing capabilities, but... maybe... especially initially, you don't really need all of that. I have an Allen Heath Mix Whiz, and I think it is great, but I would rather see you spend your money on speakers initially, and get the cheapest mixer you can get by with for now, and then, make the purchase of a much better mixer be a planned future upgrade. You will eventually want to get some subs to, if you get to really putting a system together and you want it to sound good.

Speakers: http://yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=22&id=339

Bigger better speakers: http://yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=103

The subs I wish I had: http://yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=213

The Allen Heath Mix Whiz: http://www.allen-heath.com/US/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=49

More affordable mixer: http://peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116340/number/00512740/cat/86/begin/1/PV%AE+10+USB.cfm

• Members

Thank you, Flanc. I'm in Springfield, VA (suburb of Wash, DC.) I believe we spoke once before. You are in Maryland aren't you? In any case, I will welcome the opportunity to hear what others may be willing to discard. But, first, I want to make sure my plan is sound before parting with any of my hard earned money!

Yeah...I checked my old PM's and we did have a conversation a few months back. By all means...."plan the work...and work the plan". :thu:

• Members

Good advice above and your plan sounds solid. You are correct that the powered mixer -> 2 speakers on sticks plan can be limiting.

I too am a fan of powered speakers, as they do take a lot of the "fudge" factor out of powering properly and are bi-amped which tends to sound better on average than non-biamped. Of course, there are downsides too - if a speaker gets blown, there goes your power and your speaker (or vice virsa), they need power cabling etc., but I think they are very handy.

I also agree that money is spent well on better quality speakers and mics than other parts of the signal chain (mixer, etc.), though all are important.

For your situation and budget, a passive mixer and either 2 powered speakers or two passive speakers and a good separate power amp will serve you well for future upgrades. Just make sure the speakers can be pole mounted (for live performance FOH and practice duty - I like to have my speakers raised for practice to cover the room a bit better) but can also double as monitors for later stage use as you get into larger FOH speakers etc.

You may also need to budget for mics, stands and cabling... IMO, each band member who sings should budget personally for a mic, a cable anmd a stand for themselves, so hopefully that can help save your overall PA budget.

Tons of info in here recommending speakers (powered or unpowered), amps, mixers and mics so happy hunting!

Archived