In Ear Monitor Question

• Members

Another easy method that works specifically with the PSM200 is a small cheap clip-on lavalier mic plugged into the 1/4" jack on the beltpack. It has the advantage of your ambient mix being 'yours', not a mic somewhere several feet or yards away. Works better to hear song requests if you're a bar band....if it's a noisy place you may still not hear the person standing in front of you if the ambient mic is behind them facing a noisy crowd.

I have a complete PSM200 and a PSM400 system, still bouncing between them trying to see which I will eventually settle on.

I just bought a lapel mic for use with the PSM200 receiver. Wired it up and it just may work out. I'm going to give it a shot at an upcoming gig.

• Members

Another easy method that works specifically with the PSM200 is a small cheap clip-on lavalier mic...

oohh, i like that, cunning...

just try not to look like a news reporter :thu:

• 2 months later...
  • Members

is it worth setting up a mic or 2 covering the crowd and mixing it in a smidge for ambience? this is often done on pro gigs...

You can buy buds that will allow different levels of ambient sound through. We all use Ultimate Ear I5Pro and we love them, and can still hear outside noise as well. Of course if you blast your ears with too much monitor you will never hear ANYTHING! :)

• Members

I'd still move to in ear "earbuds". Wearing headphones will have the effect of placing a imaginary wall between you and the audience. In my experience, headphoned musicians seem to be in their own world on stage and separated from the audience. Just my feeling but I believe this feeling is shared by some others here. Same way I feel about bands that use music stands on stage (unless they are jazz based and using fake books...ie wedding gig). Just a personal pet peeve.

Decent in ear monitors all have limiting capabilities. You can easily blow your hearing with heaphones...as well as being too close to the cymbals of a hard driving drummer. Take it from me, tinnutis is NOT a good thing to have.

This is exactly right!

Archived