Q about matching Power Amp and Monitors

• Members

Hi again, folks.

I play guitar and keyboard in a loud rock band. My amplification setup is very simple - a tube guitar amp for guitar and a Roland KC-350 keyboard amp for keys, which doubles as an amp for our singer's vocal mic (ouch, I know). Our problem during band rehearsals (in the drummer's basement) is that when we turn up the KC-350's volume to match that of the live drums and the other guitarist's 40W tube guitar amp, the KC-350 distorts and the mic starts to feed back.

To upgrade my setup, I've determined I need a pair of monitor speakers and a power amp (so if the guitarist upgrades to a 100W tube amp, I can swap out the power amp for a more powerful power amp). I already have a small mixer for the keys and vocals, and to provide a feed to the FOH of whatever venues we play.

So my question is, what do I need to look for as far as matching up a power amp with the monitors? I have a feeling there is more to this than trying to get the wattage values close.

• Members

To upgrade my setup, I've determined I need a pair of monitor speakers and a power amp (so if the guitarist upgrades to a 100W tube amp, I can swap out the power amp for a more powerful power amp).

Maybe you should swap out the guitar player.

Getting the wattage values close will work.

• Members

What is your budget?

I'm looking for info that can be applied to any brand, really. I totally missed the Guide to Goober's thread - sorry folks!!! That's where I found the advice to get a power amp that puts out double the wattage of the speaker it will drive.

I'm currently looking at these ElectroVoice monitors:

http://www.electrovoice.com/products/140.html

So if the continuous power handling is 250W, I'd need a power amp that can put out at least 250W per side, ideally up to 500W/side, based on what I've gathered here.

• Members

So if the continuous power handling is 250W, I'd need a power amp that can put out at least 250W per side, ideally up to 500W/side, based on what I've gathered here.

You don't need a power amp that will put out 250 watts. The speakers will handle that much safely, but you could run a 50 watt amp if that's all the power you need. Some people advocate going over the speaker's rated power on the theory that lower power that is clipped is more likely to cause damage than too much clean power. Bottom line though is as long as you don't exceed the capabilities of the amp or the speaker, it really doesn't matter much. If it were me and those speakers, I'd probably go 250 to 300 watts.

• Members

You don't
need
a power amp that will put out 250 watts. The speakers will handle that much safely, but you could run a 50 watt amp if that's all the power you need. Some people advocate going over the speaker's rated power on the theory that lower power that is clipped is more likely to cause damage than too much clean power. Bottom line though is as long as you don't exceed the capabilities of the amp or the speaker, it really doesn't matter much. If it were me and those speakers, I'd probably go 250 to 300 watts.

Thanks. Looks like the QSC RMX 1450 would be a good match for the EV's then, as it puts out 260W/side:

http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/rmx/rmx.htm

Archived