Help me use $6k wisely :)

• Members

I have been using my church's portable system doing sound for DJ type gigs as well as for bands for about a year now. Bottom line: I love doing it and want to have my own equipment to do what I love. I have saved about $6k give or take and am confident that you guys can help me build a sweet rig.

Details:

I will be using this rig for about 250-500 people but possibly up to 1000 people.

I would like to be able to send drums, at least 2 guitars, bass, and at least 3 vocal mics through the system, along with simple CD music.

I would like a lot of good bass because (as i have posted before) I will be doing a lot of frat parties and that's all those guys care about.

I am totally fine with used gear.

I can borrow the following items as long as I need, however if it can be fit in the budget I am not against getting them at all. But I think I would rather have really good equipment for FOH now and build a solid monitor system of my own later:

1. Mixer

2. Wedges

3. Vocal mics

4. Drum mics

5. cables

6. snake

That said the main area I would like to focus, if it isn't obvious already would be:

1. Mains

2. Subs

3. Amps

4. EQ/ Crossover (and other rack gear you guys see fit)

5. Road Cases

Thanks a lot! I hope to hear from you guys soon.

• Members

Would be powered speakers be the way to go here as opposed to a rack of amps? If so why? Why not? Thanks a lot! Also, have any of you guys had any problems running standard speaker cable as opposed to speakon? Or does that not even really matter. I have just always run speakon and it feels very secure and safe.

• Members

Would be powered speakers be the way to go here as opposed to a rack of amps? If so why? Why not? Thanks a lot!

Well, in a standard 2-way powered speaker, there are 2 amplifiers, one dedicated to the lows and one dedicated to the highs. This is called "bi-amping" the speaker, which makes it sound a lot better. Plus, the internal amps are usually perfectly matched to the drivers and components inside the speaker! A lot of powered speakers also include internal EQ and sound modification so the speaker sounds great right out of the box!

Now to do this with passive speakers and rack-mount amps, you would have to use multiple amps for your top speakers... some for the highs and some for the lows... you also then have to perfectly match the amps to the components inside the speaker, so everything is properly powered! Also, this requires a crossover and some EQing to work right... it can be done, it just takes more work!

For subs, it really doesn't matter powered or passive... some people prefer powered for the ease of setup with an "all-in-one" package... but some prefer passive because it gives them more control and takes some weight out of the speaker cabs... as long as you properly power passive subs with rack-mount amps, that works just as well! Plus, you only have to run 1 speaker cable to each sub instead of a power and line cable to each powered sub!

:thu:

• Members

Okay. So would it be the worst idea ever to plug the active speakers together into a power strip for simplicities sake? If so, would I need to find a wall outlet for every speaker? A generator?

Well it depends on how many speakers you have, but you should be able to run 2 or 4 on a standard wall outlet... I know a guy who has 4 active speakers and he can run them full-till on one circuit without a problem...

But you should probably avoid a powerstrip... and will need thick guage power cables because the speakers will draw lots of current! I don't think a generator will be necessary unless you are away from a power source...

• Members

Well it depends on how many speakers you have, but you should be able to run 2 or 4 on a standard wall outlet... I know a guy who has 4 active speakers and he can run them full-till on one circuit without a problem...

But you should probably avoid a powerstrip... and will need thick guage power cables because the speakers will draw lots of current! I don't think a generator will be necessary unless you are away from a power source...

How would I run 4 speakers on a standard wall outlet without a power strip?

• Members

How would I run 4 speakers on a standard wall outlet without a power strip?

Well I mean don't use a standard 6-plug... like something you'd plug your computer into... they make professional power strips that can be rack-mounted... or you could use a "quad box"...

• Members

Thats a nice figure to start with, but plan on spending more down the road. Start out with atleast a 16 channel board. Allen & Heath Mixwizard is a great small not to expensive board to start with esp for live mixing. Peavey and Yamaha get good reviews too and they run a few dollars less. One nice thing about the later mixers is they have CD inputs in one channel, the Mixwiz doesnt. Better for the playback/DJ gigs. The new Yamahas have compressors on a few channels too, if they work good thats a nice feature to have.

I like running powered and passive systems, both have advantages and disadvantages alike. Powered boxes are nice because they are pretty much self contained. Bi-amped or tri-amped, limiters and sometimes some sort of proccessing. Some powered systems only require a single line left and one line run right with built in crossovers. Some complain about trying to find power, I dont think its that big of a problem, there always has to be a power source on stag for the guitars, bass and keys so a few extra AC strips and cords are all you need. Passive boxes are cool too, my main set-up is all passive. Though any more the weight is the same and now were starting to see more real wooden powered speakers that sound great. I like passive subs alot because of there size and weight and ease of loading and moving around. Another plus with passive subs and monitors is the lack of running a power cord, makes for a cleaner stag.

One thing to address if you already have is transportation, truck, van or trailer? Do you have room for big heavy subs like dual 18" boxes or the LS800 subs? I use a small van so I do need to keep my equipment small. I like light weight stuff too, just easier on the body as well as the sprit, try lifting real heavy speakers and subs early in the AM! I use single 18" subs, SRX 718s to be exact and I do love the sound and output for as small as they are. A set of these will run about $1400 plus about $1000 or less for a good amp. Crown XTi2000, 4000 amps, QSC RMX, PLX 2502-3602 amps are all good stuff and will last you quite a while. If you can move a big dual 18" sub then check into a Peavey QW218. Probably run about $1000 bucks give or take a few.

Tops is a good place to practice "buy once, cry once"! Meaning get the best you can afford now. Buying used can be smart. A set of EAW JF290's would cost you about $3000+ new, used about $1500-2000 for the set. (just an example, though they are great speakers to consider) JBL MRX-SRX, EV QRX Yorkville U15's are all good boxes to look at. Depending on the speaker, figure around about 500w on up to say a PLX3602 @ 775w per channel for your tops. You will need some 31 band EQ's and a crossover to start up a quality passive system. Just some ideas to toss around.

• Members

I failed to mention this earlier. I'm not sure if this will effect what people reccommned BUT: I already own a pair of Peavey 115 International hc speakers. My dad just gave them to me. they were from his DJ days. I can't find much info on them though..

• Members

Also, have any of you guys had any problems running standard speaker cable as opposed to speakon? Or does that not even really matter. I have just always run speakon and it feels very secure and safe.

In regard to this question, if you are using passive speakers and have to run speaker cables, you should Speakon speaker cables instead of 1/4" cables. 1/4" cables are not meant to handle the power you are talking about pumping into these speakers. 1/4" cables also tend to have lots of safety problems and are not as secure in the speakers. However, most of the options and speakers recommended here are active (powered), so you would not be running speaker cables to them, but line (XLR) cables. :thu:

• Members

I suggest to take the $6K, and invest it in oil stocks after this Memorial Day Holiday, when oil prices should drop significantly. Sell the oil stock right before The 4th of July Holiday, when oil prices should peak again. Then buy oil stocks after The 4th, and then sell again right before Labor Day. I suggest to keep implementing this oil stock buying and selling strategy until the fall of 2008. Spend this time researching your SR equipment purchase options and reading up on equipment application and operation... and keep tuitoring yourself with the church gear.

Archived