yamaha Club V vs JBL MRX - Real world use

• Members

I think the Yamaha Club Series speakers were designed to be entry level, low priced speakers. I doubt they can compare with anything JBL makes. I realize the MRX512m are similarly configured, but the JBL's should easily trump the Club 112v for clarity and power handling. I see that they are both rated at 97db, but the frequency response is much better on the JBL's. How they come up with the numbers is another matter, but I agree with Andy (Aged Horse) on that fact. I think the build quality will be better on the JBL's but you'll probably pay more for them. Everything I ever owned by JBL more than paid for themselves with years of service.

If you want to get speakers at an entry level price or somewhere in the lower price range, Peavey SP speaker cabinets are a better value than the Yammie's, although I don't believe Peavey makes an SP series speaker cabinet with a 12" woofer.

I A/B'ed Peavey SP2's against Yamaha SV115v's and the Peavey toasted the Yammies. Maybe not a fair comparison because the Peavey's are almost a 100 bucks more each, but they were a similar configuration. The SP2's have a 131db rating, the Yammie 97db. The difference was obvious.

If I was going to buy something, it wouldn't be Yamaha Club speakers.

Mike T.

• Members

I think the Yamaha Club Series speakers were designed to be entry level, low priced speakers. I doubt they can compare with anything JBL makes. I realize the MRX512m are similarly configured, but the JBL's should easily trump the Club 112v for clarity and power handling. I see that they are both rated at 97db, but the frequency response is much better on the JBL's. How they come up with the numbers is another matter, but I agree with Andy (Aged Horse) on that fact. I think the build quality will be better on the JBL's but you'll probably pay more for them. Everything I ever owned by JBL more than paid for themselves with years of service.

If you want to get speakers at an entry level price or somewhere in the lower price range, Peavey SP speaker cabinets are a better value than the Yammie's, although I don't believe Peavey makes an SP series speaker cabinet with a 12" woofer.

I A/B'ed Peavey SP2's against Yamaha SV115v's and the Peavey toasted the Yammies. Maybe not a fair comparison because the Peavey's are almost a 100 bucks more each, but they were a similar configuration. T
he SP2's have a 131db rating, the Yammie 97db. The difference was obvious.

If I was going to buy something, it wouldn't be Yamaha Club speakers.

Mike T.

I agree the SP2 is superior to the Yamaha club but wanted to point on the bolded numbers above. The Peavey 131db number is a max spl rating and the Yamaha 97db number is a sensitivity rating (1watt @ 1 meter...the Yammie owners manual claims 99db). The SP2 sensitivy number is 98db (full range).

Just a clarification. From my experience, the Peavey's will get much louder than the Yamaha clubs. In fairness, I think the SP5 is a closer match to the Yamaha club in price and is still $100 more (SP2 is $200 more).

• Members

This is just an "experience" post about the Yamaha's. One of the coffee shops we play at several times a year has a pair of 15" Clubs on poles with a 1604 Mackie, not sure what the amp is. (I think its a RMX 2450) Anyway the vocals never have really sounded good and the overall mix seems rather muddy so the last time we played there I spoke with the sound guy and asked if I could bring in my speakers and just tie them into his mixer and he would still have full control. Sure he said. I brought in a pair of QSC HPR122i's (very close to the PRX in performance) and a single SRX718 sub and just used the main feeds that fed his amp into my crossover then into my speakers. To me as the drummer the room sounded allot cleaner and I could hear the vocals much better. The 2 singers loved them as well as the sound guy but the main compliment came from just a regular peep. She said that she comes to these weekly concerts all the time and that this show was the first time she could understand and hear the vocals clearly. Everything else being the same, same crappy mixer and effects, same sound guy mixing and running the system. Well maybe its just my ears only but I have never really liked the sound of the Yamaha's. Another place we have played at had a set of these too and they sound pretty close to the other venue.

One benefit the PRX has over the Yamaha is its bi-amped and everything is matched, amps and crossover settings just for that box by real speaker designers.

• Members

I think the Yamaha Club Series speakers were designed to be entry level, low priced speakers. I doubt they can compare with anything JBL makes.

yea, that JRX stuff is clearly superior :D

I have many Yamaha club series. S112, S115 and SM monitors. They work just fine, more than fine actually. The lower end Yamaha stuff I'm not fond of but the Club series works well, and is built reasonably. I also have MRX and some SRX. The Yamaha does just fine against the MRX series. While I might prefer the MRX for a few reasons, it's hard to quantify it's sound superiority in relation to it's price structure. I can make the Yamahas sound great. They've definitely taken a beating over the past 7 years of jobs too. I've gone in to many of the local club shows I work with the Yamaha clubs and gotten similar comments about being better sounding than previous shows. Does that mean the Yamahas are better than what came before me? No.

Archived