Behringer B1520 speakers?

• Members

Does anyone have experience with these?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-B1520-Pro-Eurolive-Professional-Series-15-2Way-Speaker?sku=600701

I recently heard a Karaoke DJ using these, and he absolutely loved them and repeatedly commented on how good they sounded. I thought they sounded like crap. The bass response was good, but the treble was very harsh. And it was not a clear sound at all. I had a difficult time picking out the karaoke singer's voice. I sang a song, and I could barely tell what key the song was in.

The poor sound could have been based on user error (I questioned the guy's ability when I saw that he had the master fader no where near 0db and the channel faders almost all the way up). Has anyone else had experience with these speakers? Maybe they are okay and it was something else that was causing the terrible sound? It's not too hard to make recorded music sound good..........

• Members

We use one as a vocal and guitar monitor. It is easy to mix without feedback and sounds exactly like the singers voices. We also practice with it as a monitor/main in a 12x 25 garage..it is not harsh at all. We actually auditioned it before we bought it and got it on clearance for the grill being pushed in. We may get another to use them as mains for places like larger coffee houses (guess we'll pull the grill back out if we do that). It's not that hard to mess up the sound of prerecorded music if you have hearing loss in the upper midrange from too much loud music. Just a little tweak on your eq and voila! Also a little clipping from poor gain structure and voila... prerecorded music. I can make my whole system go from sounding sublime to sounding like crap with the proper twist of one single knob (there are a few knobs that will do this, BTW).

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

It sounds like maybe the problem does lie in user error. This guy told me he usually uses a 31-band EQ, but at this particular gig he had a 9-band or something. Maybe he's a sucker for the "smiling face" EQ, and he had the high frequencies at their limit. At any rate, it was very harsh and painful.

You may be right about the hearing loss, though. He had the music loud enough that you had to shout to be heard in conversation. We were having a conversation at the back of the bar in which I could hear him okay, but he asked me to repeat myself a number of times. I had to shout everything so he could hear. And when it comes to hearing loss, the higher frequencies are the first to go, because those are the frequencies that your ear can easily process and you can hear the best. He probably did have some high frequency loss.

The poor sound was most likely a combination of hearing loss and insufficient knowledge of how to work the equimpent. But it's good to know that other people have had positive experience with these speakers. I was very impressed with their power capacity. They were LOUD. I may get some of these to use as floor monitors. I'm having a little trouble coping with the price, though. I could get a new Club Series V 15" monitor for about $350. And I have great confidence in those. Is a $100 difference sufficient enough to go the cheaper route?

Archived