Pritzker Pavillion Chicago

• Members

I spent a few days in Chicago in August and one of the many impressive things I checked out was the Pritzker Pavillion. This is an outdoor Amphitheatre with total capacity of aroung 11000 people. The sound system was amazing. I caught a bit of a choral concert and was blown away at the near perfect coverage. While strolling through the upper grassy area, there was no place (if I were to close my eyes) that I could point to the nearest speaker. No hot spots, no phase smear, just killer ideal volume (I'd guess average in the mid 80s with peaks around 90db) at every seat (well I didn't really have time to check out every seat but that is my assumption by what I heard).

It looks like around 100+ boxes (more than half of them setup in concentric semi-circles radiating from the stage). I couldn't tell what manufacturer (just anonymous black trapazoid boxes)

I did some checking and I guess the design contractor was Talaske Acoustics and Sound. Anyway my hats off to them for an incredible sound system.

Archived