What's the best way to use amp modelling software live?

• Members

So, I've been reading about amp modelling software such as Amplitube, Guitar Rig and also Amplitube Live and was wondering how feasible it would be to use one of these at a gig with a midi footboard. Would I have to run the guitar into the mac using an audio interface and then run it out the mac through a mini-jack into the sound desk? Have any of you tried anything similar and how have you found it? I'm looking to perhaps ditch using amps for gigs and hollow out a 4x12 and making space to hold my computer equipment yet keep the grill cloth on to make it still look good on stage. I'm no purist (obviously..) and am looking for new ways to play live with many different tones.

Thanks.

M

• Members

So, I've been reading about amp modelling software such as Amplitube, Guitar Rig and also Amplitube Live and was wondering how feasible it would be to use one of these at a gig with a midi footboard. Would I have to run the guitar into the mac using an audio interface and then run it out the mac through a mini-jack into the sound desk? Have any of you tried anything similar and how have you found it? I'm looking to perhaps ditch using amps for gigs and hollow out a 4x12 and making space to hold my computer equipment yet keep the grill cloth on to make it still look good on stage. I'm no purist (obviously..) and am looking for new ways to play live with many different tones.

Thanks.

M

The thing you need to be worred about is delay induced by the software. Unlike pedals and modeling sims (like a line6 POD) software is usually used for recording, where real time response is not as essential....

Good luck!

• Members

I agree... Line 6 pods work great in that situation. Our whole band uses them live now. The computer software will work but the interface times will give you trouble. and nothing better than your computer crashing at just the wrong time. It will happen.... it always does at some time.

Archived