Splitting an Aux Out?

• Members

Sure, all you'd need is a cable with four leads wired in parallel.

There may also be a way to wire through the unit (some Shure units offer this ability). What IEM units do you have?

You could make the cable yourself, or contact Mark at audiopile.net and i'm sure he could help you out.....

• Members

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I thought you could but wasn't sure whether there were signal degradation issues.

The mixer has 2 aux outs. Currently the singer get one monitor mix through AUX 1 out and I get the second monitor mix that the rest of the band gets through their floor monitors through the AUX 2 out.

We are moving to get rid of the floor monitors and will need to feed the two new IEM units from AUX 2.

The singer uses a Sennheiser unti and I have the entry level Shure - the PSM200?

The drummer will use a wired unit and we'll see for our other guitarist.

I generally like to buy used so I'll see what's available.

After I posted I thought there may be outs on the IEM rackmount transceivers to allow daisy chaining from IEM to IEM so that's something I could look for when I go shopping.

• Members

You do realize that the rest of the band can all use the signal from one transmitter. It sounds like you are using Aux 1 for the singer and Aux 2 for the rest of the band, is that correct. You will only need 2 transmitters (1 for the singer and 1 for the rest). You can have an unlimited number of receivers on the same transmitter.

• Members

"You do realize that the rest of the band can all use the signal from one transmitter. It sounds like you are using Aux 1 for the singer and Aux 2 for the rest of the band, is that correct. You will only need 2 transmitters (1 for the singer and 1 for the rest). You can have an unlimited number of receivers on the same transmitter."

my 15 watt light bulb dimly flickers above my head ..............

Umm yeah, yeah, ummm yeah I realized that - I really did...........

Thanks, glad I spoke before thinking this one through!

Edited to add - the only issue is that a Shure bodypack costs as much as a complete unit used. I guess I could resell the transceivers, assuming there'd be a market for just that one piece..............

• Members

Edited to add - the only issue is that a Shure bodypack costs as much as a complete unit used. I guess I could resell the transceivers, assuming there'd be a market for just that one piece..............

Hold on to the rest of the transmitters for when you get a console with more aux outs and everyone wants their own mix in their ears.

• Members

Roccoboy,

The problem with what your trying to do is that it's very hard, if not impossible, in my experience, to get an in-ear mix that works for more than one person. If you're planning to use both ear buds(as opposed to using one and leaving the other out to listen to the stage sound), you're dependant on the in-ear mix for cues. If one person needs their vocal and/or instrument loud and it's to much for another person, than you're screwed because you can't hear much of anything outside the earbuds. Where as with monitor wedges, you can always hear the drums, guitar amps, even the FOH. Not so with good earbuds.

I tried exactly what you're talking about several years ago and it was disasterous.

Just something to think about.

Best of luck!

Joel

Archived