A question about TRS cables

• Members

This might be an incredibly stupid question, but I have no idea, and none of my research has been able to find me an answer.

I am wanting to send 2 completely different mono signals down a TRS cable and split them at the other end, effectively using a single cable for two cables.

What I want to do is this:

Send Aux 1&2 sends down one TRS line on my stage snake

and send Aux 3&4 sends down another TRS line on the same stage snake.

So i can send 4 separate monitor mixes (all mono) to the stage side power amps.

Is this at all possible?

would be a better investment to just buy 2 extra 100' cables

thanks!

• Members

Thanks for the quick response!

I am not quite sure what you mean by balancing, and how that might affect mono signals?

thanks again

TRS lines are usually used for a balanced mono signal.

I'm quite tired right now so will point you here for an explanation of balanced line: http://www.tracertek.com/docs/balanced.pdf

Okay, now you've read that, you can see that you can only send a mono signal balanced through a TRS connector and twin and screen cabling. You'd need a five pole connector to send two mono signals.

What I would do is to use the TRS balanced line you have to send the first two monitor sends, and then if you have two spare XLR stage sends on your snake, wire up some TRS-XLR cables and use two lines for monitor sends 3 and four.

• Members

Awesome, that sounds like a much more feasible solution!

I hadn't even thought of it that way.

I wish I had come to this forum before I purchased my setup, and gone with one of those setups from audio east.

I know I will probably end up replacing all my Behringer gear (Mains, subs, poweramps) in the future, as of right now I plan to replace the Behringer EQ, Compressor and crossover with a DRPA, or a VSX 26 from Peavey.

Thanks again

Archived