Will this power amp work with these monitors?

• Members

I am thinking of purchasing some cheap floor monitors for my band. We have a Crown CE1000 power amp that is 450w/channel @4ohms. We want to buy 3 Behringer P1220F floor monitors and run them off this amp. Here is the info on the floor monitors:

Continuous Power: 80 Watt

Peak Power: 320 Watt

Type: 2-way full-range speaker

Frequency Response: 60 Hz to 20 kHz

Impedance: 8 Ohm

Sound pressure level: 98 dB (Full Space; 1 W @ 1 m)

Dispersion: 90 x 40 degrees

Crossover frequency: 3.5 kHz

Is this amp strong enough to power them? Should we daisy chain all of them together? I am new to this stuff and don't really know much about pro-audio.

Thanks for any advice.

• Members

Whilst it depends on how loud your band is, an 80w monitor is unlikely to be very much use. And as I understand it, if you try to 'get away with' underpowered monitors you'll end up pushing them hard and getting a nasty sound and some feedback too, so it wouln't be worth it really.

Also if you used those three monitors with that amp, you could end up putting 225w into an 80w speaker and, well, it's got a rated power figure for a reason you know...

You'd be better get fewer monitors, but better ones.

• Members

I am new to this stuff and don't really know much about pro-audio.

Well it's good that you're asking questions now, before it all goes wrong (and gets expensive). Read the following, and repeat often:

Behringer makes crap

Now that we have that out of the way, tell us what type of music your band plays, what the FOH gear is (so we know what you'll need for monitors) and what your budget is. I bet we can make some good recommendations.

• Members

That is why I am asking. I was looking around and those Behringer monitors got some good reviews, and the price is certainly tempting, but I wanted to ask people that actually knew about it instead of some moron posting reviews on a survey site. That is why I came to you guys.

My band is a rock band. The front of house gear is a Crown XLS602 with peavy loudspeakers, no sub yet, but hopefully in the works. We are using a 16 channel mixer. This has been plenty loud and sufficient for us.

We are looking for monitors just so each member can hear what is the rest of the band is doing. We would like to stay under $200 each, if possible on the monitors, and only need 3 of them as our vocalist has in-ear monitors.

Is anyone using an in-ear? I am not sure that I would like it for anything but vocals, but again, I am open to opinions and expertise.

• Members

That amp's going to put out about 250 watts a piece into 8 ohms. Look for monitors that can handle that much power and are reasonably efficient.

$200 a piece isn't a whole lot to work with, but for the money these are probably okay. Certainly better than the Behringers.

• Members

Suggestions:

1) Look on ebay/craigs for some used Yamaha SM12's

2) http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/html/stage_monitors.html

I have one of those super lites (12"). It is super light, and I have to say, it sounds great - every bit as good as the Yamahas. Now let me qualify that statement. I limit the LF to 100Hz on the monitors, so bass performance is not all too important. Additionally, we keep our stage volume low, so I'm not asking too much from our monitors. He sells them on ebay for $150 or so.

For what you are looking to do, I'm sure my two suggestions will work much better then the Behringer monitors, and keep you on budget.

Archived