New MixWiz - Initial Set-Up

• Members

I'll start off by admitting besides being a relative newb compared to the folks here as well easily confused.

I got a used MixWix 16 DX as we are going to all IEM's and the demand was for separate monitor mixes.

I have read the manual but my eyes start to cross when I get to reading pre, post, bus, send etc etc.

A couple of early questions:

Does the main out provide a summed mono out in the left channel?

We'd like to use the internal effects, in fact just reverb on the vocal channels, what's the most straighforward way to get those to the main out?

I know more questions will come.

If there have been previous threads (I'm sure read some of them here) that will be helpful and where this stuff have been answered ad-nauseum feel free to point them out for my edification.

Thanks!

• Members

i have a mixwiz3 so i cant be sure about the dx, but i used a dx for quite a bit about 2000 - 2002.

i dont think it does.

We'd like to use the internal effects, in fact just reverb on the vocal channels, what's the most straighforward way to get those to the main out?

on my mixwiz3 aux 5/6 are used for internal effects. it is setup to work without issue, use the ST1 or ST2 (cant remember which one for internal fx)to control fx volume in the masters. if i recall i dont have to do anything at all to use these, its already setup unless i use aux 5/6 for something else.

• Members

Why do you need a summed mono output?

As for the effects, make sure:

1 - The "effects" button is pushed in (it says ST1 effects) on the upper right part of the board

2 - If you want to use both Aux 5 & 6 for effects then you need to punch in the little blue button above the left mains out slider. This puts it in dual mode. You'll need a pen or similar to push it in.

3 - Above the little blue button is the master volume control for 5 & 6. Put those at the triangle mark (3 O' clock)

4 - refer to the key on the right side of the board as to what the effects are. A simple, effective setting is to make #5 a hall reverb (effect 3) and #6 a slap delay (effect 3). The slap delay can thicken voices up without a cheesy echo sound of multiple delays. The hall effect can be used on vocals as well as toms, snare (though a gated reverb sounds better). It's just a nice general effect.

5 - Just move the channel strip aux 5-6 controls and experiment. You can also edit them with software available on the A&H site. There are more effect types than you see printed on the mixer.

If you are using #5 or #6 for monitor mixes, just realize that they are hard wired as post-fader and can't be changed like 1-4 can be (they are switchable as a group to pre or post). Post fade means that any fader moving you do will change your monitor mix. Pre-fade means you can move the faders all over the place and the output of the aux will remain constant. Most applications you'd want pre-fade.

• Members

Aux channels 1-4 are pre fader, these will be your main IEM mixes. Aux 5 for your single engine FX and you can use Aux 6 for a IEM or a sub. There is a post/pre button for 5&6. By depressing it both channels become pre fader, with the button out both channels are post fader.

You will have to make a sacrafice one way or the other, by using Aux 5&6 as a pre fader it will work better for another monitor mix but you will have to watch the FX esp during speaking. in the post position, the IEM could be affected by fader movement.

You also have a monitor-main mix sum output that could be used as a monitor. This is just above your main L&R faders.

• Members

I'll start off by admitting besides being a relative newb compared to the folks here as well easily confused.

I got a used MixWix 16 DX as we are going to all IEM's and the demand was for separate monitor mixes.

How many mixes are you looking for?

I have read the manual but my eyes start to cross when I get to reading pre, post, bus, send etc etc.

A couple of early questions:

Well if all the pan pots are centered, it might as well be. You also have the "A/B" out for another out that follows the main faders adjusted for level by its own knob.

Turn the effects on (ST1) push the little blue button above the main faders down with a pen or toothpick for dual FX. Then turn the knob labeled main (the one by ST!)up to "0" or three o'clock, set to the FX you want and then turn aux 5 and/or 6 up on the channels you want FX on. You can also send FX to aux 1 & 2 by turning up the knobs up by ST1 again.

I know more questions will come.

If there have been previous threads (I'm sure read some of them here) that will be helpful and where this stuff have been answered ad-nauseum feel free to point them out for my edification.

Thanks!

Winston

• Members

Aux channels 1-4 are pre fader, these will be your main IEM mixes. Aux 5 for your single engine FX and you can use Aux 6 for a IEM or a sub. There is a post/pre button for 5&6. By depressing it both channels become pre fader, with the button out both channels are post fader.

Maybe this is version dependent, but this is not how version 2 of the Mixwiz works.

1-4 are selectable as pre or post fade. 5-6 are permanently post fader

Also Allen and Heath maintains some info on the older version - Here

• Members

Thanks to all the replies. There is alot of good learnin' for me here.

I have 4 IEM's (3 wireless, 1 wired), two wireless mic's and two wired mic's for vox, a gaggle of drum mics, and d/i's or 2 mic'ed guitar amps and one d/i'ed bass amp and two ambient stage mic's to decide how to set-up.

This is all being "permannently" wired into a rolling rack with rackmount strips on the front for output/inputs - all in hopes of simplifying set-up and strike.

I refer to a mono mix meaning, that both left and right channel are identical - the FOH is not in stereo.

I will take one cable out of the mix wiz feed it to my Driverack to use the cross over to send one daisy chained signal to my powered subs and one daisy chained signal to my powered mains.

So if I understand correctly I must use a cable to take the "effects" out of the mixer and then re-route it back in through the mixer return.

absurd - thanks for the fx setting suggestion.

• Members

Here's a little trick to squeeze everything out of the routing and still maintain both channels of effects. You can use the L & R outputs for mains and subs. Then you pan the channels to adjust the sub output. The L & R output sliders now become a master control for mains and sub signal so if you want to reduce the overall sub output you just take the slider down. It's basically using the balance function as another aux and aux feeding your subs.

• Members

Maybe this is version dependent, but this is not how version 2 of the Mixwiz works.

1-4 are selectable as pre or post fade. 5-6 are permanently post fader

Also Allen and Heath maintains some info on the older version -

I stand corrected! Thanks for the links.

Archived