Anyone use Rolls Monitor Amps for in-ear monitoring?

• Members

As much as I'd love to get a wireless in-ear rig setup at church, it jsut isn't an economic feasability. So, I've been exploring other more affordable options.

I thought I'd come here and see what the thoughts were on the little Rolls systems. In particular, these:

374450.jpg

Looks like this could fit the bill rather well when paired up with a set of good earbuds (for now a few of us use Shure e2c earbuds through a more rigged system) coudl be the ticket. The only thing I am bummed about is the fact that it doesn't appear that there is a monitor thru jack. We've only got two monitor mixes available, so we'd need a way to get one of those mixes to at least 5 or six different boxes.

Any thoughts from those of you that use these or something similar? Thanks!

• Members

I went this route a while back. Its not a good idea. Just using your direct monitor signal to a small headphone amp gives you no hearing protection. Real In ear systems have built in limiters that will stop a signal from destorying your hearing. Just think about a feedback spike blowing up directly into your ear canal. It only takes one time. Those Shure earbuds have a high sensitivity level. It doesnt take much gain to get them LOUD. So that makes having a limiter on your monitor signal a MUST.

• Members

Both the drummer in my wife's band and two of the members in our church band have been useing them for 5+ years. Well, actually the PM350 which has one line and one mic level "More Me" inputs.

As already mentioned, you really should make sure you have limiting upstream of it. We have it on the EQ I run through first. The drummer gets the same basic mix as my wife who plays bass and is on a wedge. I wye off of the aux send and one goes to the Rolls unit and the other to the wedge amp. Rolls makes a little limiter as well, and small mixers that could split your one mix out for you. But I would start to consider the hassle factor of multiple little boxes compared to something that may cost more but is designed to fullfill your needs.

Winston

• Members

I used one for several years and it worked well for the price. The lack of limiting was the deal breaker that made me invest in a better system. I recently bought the Galaxy AS-1000 wireless. (love it!) I use it with Shure earbuds and custom molds. It'e definitely worth the $$!

• Members

I went this route a while back. Its
not
a good idea. Just using your direct monitor signal to a small headphone amp gives you no hearing protection. Real In ear systems have built in limiters that will stop a signal from destorying your hearing. Just think about a feedback spike blowing up directly into your ear canal. It only takes one time. Those Shure earbuds have a high sensitivity level. It doesnt take much gain to get them LOUD. So that makes having a limiter on your monitor signal a MUST.

There's some seriously good advice there - I would not disregard it, if I were you...

- georgestrings

• Members

There's some seriously good advice there - I would not disregard it, if I were you...

- georgestrings

+1:thu:

I use a behringer:poke: 4700 and it works fine (12 headphone outs, 4-front 8-back)

Live, not a great idea, in a practice/recording where no PA involved is great. when live I use in ears that has a limiter built in. unless your live sound is GREATLY controlled I wouldn't do it without a limiter.

• Members

Thanks for the info guys! This is all really helpful. I jstu found that Rolls makes a small little limiter as well. So, in theory my signal chain would go liek this.

Monitor send from the poweramp to Rolls Limiter/Gate/Compressor. Then from the Limiter/Gate/Compressor to Rolls Power Station (splits the monitor signal to up to 8 personal monitor amps). Rolls Power Station to Personal Monitor Amps. Then just repeat this chain for the other monitor channel.

That Behringer looks cool, but the only thing keeping me with the Rolls is the ability for the female vocalists at our church to crank their own monitor signal in their own ears without changing the mix for everyone else in the slightest. Just trying to figure a way to avoide the "I need more of me in the monitors" wars that can begin. This at least seems to offer some flexibility! What do you think of this arrangement?

• Members

Thanks for the info guys! This is all really helpful. I jstu found that Rolls makes a small little limiter as well. So, in theory my signal chain would go liek this.

Monitor send from the poweramp to Rolls Limiter/Gate/Compressor. Then from the Limiter/Gate/Compressor to Rolls Power Station (splits the monitor signal to up to 8 personal monitor amps). Rolls Power Station to Personal Monitor Amps. Then just repeat this chain for the other monitor channel.

That Behringer looks cool, but the only thing keeping me with the Rolls is the ability for the female vocalists at our church to crank their own monitor signal in their own ears without changing the mix for everyone else in the slightest. Just trying to figure a way to avoide the "I need more of me in the monitors" wars that can begin. This at least seems to offer some flexibility! What do you think of this arrangement?

The one thing to keep in mind is that the "more me" mic control on the personal mixer is before your limiting. As long as that mic isn't very close to any wedges with it in the mix, your odds of feedback in that mic are pretty darn low. But it's not as safe as having a limiter built into the unit itself.

Winston

• Members

Styxer06: Yes, monitor send from poweramp.... whoops. Sorry about that.

Lifeloverwg: yep, the point of all this is to hopefull completely nullify wedges. So, that should keep the risk of feedback even lower. But yeah, I'm having trouble finding something with a limiter built in (even looking at headphone amps).

Archived