What do I need for a basic in-ear rig?

• Members

Thanks for all the insight fellas. yeah, we're looking for a separate mixing board. We work with some really interesting FOH guys and I'd rather not give them direct access to my eardrums!

at this point we are still setting a budget, but I'm thinking spending ~2k on the board is really going to tap our resources. I love Allen and Heath boards, they are great. Currently we are using a Midas board for FOH and it is great.... too bad we couldn't get something along those lines. We just need to work in a really restrained budget.

Thanks again fellas. this is all really helpful.

• Members

Thanks for all the insight fellas. yeah, we're looking for a separate mixing board. We work with some really interesting FOH guys and I'd rather not give them direct access to my eardrums!

at this point we are still setting a budget, but I'm thinking spending ~2k on the board is really going to tap our resources. I love Allen and Heath boards, they are great. Currently we are using a Midas board for FOH and it is great.... too bad we couldn't get something along those lines. We just need to work in a really restrained budget.

Thanks again fellas. this is all really helpful.

Allen & Heath make a 16 channel version of their 16:2 Mix Wiz that is made especially for monitor mixing/In Ear Monitors.

http://www.allen-heath.com/us/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=69

But it is likewise pricey.

OR...Another route is to use a MixWiz 16:2 which has 16 channel inputs and can run 4 separate aux sends. I even think there is a way to make the EQ affect the Aux Sends too. That is about $1000 new and $800 or so on the used market. It can also double for a FOH and Monitor rig when needed.

Johnny

• Members

at this point we are still setting a budget, but I'm thinking spending ~2k on the board is really going to tap our resources.

If your band makes $500 per night, you can have it in 4 shows. The rest of the stuff needed can be had for another 3-4 shows. How's that for making it easy to get?

In my band, they could afford the rig in two shows. Too bad I am the one paying for PA. They suck. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Looks like you have a mixer lined up, but I thought I'd suggest a Yamaha 01V. Having a digital board is very handy for quick set ups, as you can save all your settings for various situations. Plus it's got built in effects and dynamics so you don't have to worry about outboard gear, and it's expandable by adding input or output cards. This is the way my band went, and works really well for us.

• Members

Dont forget the ears! Have you selected the earphones you will be using?

I recommend finding something that sounds good to you, and is within your price range. If you are getting the PSM200 system I believe it comes with E2 earsets.

Everyone will have a different opinion about the sound quality, and thats ok. Listen to them for the sound quality, I am not a musician...so my ipod sounds great with my Sensaphonics dual drivers and has for 8 years! But the most important thing about earsets is to make sure they are comfortble, seal with your ear canal (this will offer isolation needed to control volume and KILLER bass response), and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE always WEAR BOTH EARPHONES!!! Its crucial not to wear one in and one out. Its about sound quality AND preserving your hearing! Im available to clarify any of these points..

Archived