Guitar tone and IEM

• Members

I'm still working through the process of putting together a working IEM rig and have a question about guitar tone. Micing the amp and then mixing it into the ear seems like a less than ideal arrangement, even if only because of consistency. I'd love to somehow set it up so that my guitar tone that is pumped to my ears stays the same no matter where I go. It seems that would change depending on the mic I was using, the room, the placement, etc..

So, i'd imagine the best option for me is some kind of DI with cab simulation. Is that correct? Do those sound decent? What do you recommend? Palmer? Behringer? Hughes and Kettner? something else?

Please help me understand my options! Thanks!

-jon

• Members

I'm no expert on IEM's, but considering your circumstance, I'd say it's a waste of time.

I've only once played a show in all of Colorado (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs) that didn't mic my cab with something other than an SM57 up against the grill on-axis, and that was an E609...up against the grill on-axis.

How different could your playing situations possibly be that it would affect you in the monitor mix?

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to buy your own microphone and insist on a particular placement?

• Members

Since we went IEM this is something that we had to learn the hard way. It really depends on personal taste and what kind of amp you are using I think. I was running my Mesa Boogie Mark IV through a Palmer load box and was getting a pretty good tone. The bad thing was I could not get that natural harmonic feedback like I could when just playing through the amp. Then I tried putting an Audix I5 mic in front of the combo speaker and was even happier with the tone. If you are happy with your tone using a microphone, then buy a good instrument mic and use it every time. I have recorded with my Palmer and it sounded great, but for live stuff I always use a microphone and just watch my stage level.

Archived