what to rack a Mix Wizard 16:2 in?

• Members

so, i just got my Mix Wizard in the mail and it looks great! now I need to figure out what to rack it in. I want to keep it in a rack and still have between 6 and 10 empty rack spaces below it. However, I want to keep a splitter snake attached at all times, so the panel doesn't need to be folded out all the time. I just plug my stuff into the snake and go...

What would you recommend that doesn't cost more than the board and is durable? Thanks!

• Members

I've got my MixWiz mounted in a Road Ready slant rack. It is necessary to rotate and tuck the MixWiz connection pod all the way under - but being that you're planning on leaving a snake connected at all times - this is a GOOD thing - because otherwise you'd never be able to put the cover on the rack with the snake attached.

I'm using one of the these... It holds the board, 2 DBX DriveRack Units, a Lexicon Effects unit, a Shure PSM 200 transmitter unit, and a 2 rack unit DJ style CD player and a Furman Power Strip - all of which is prewired in the rack itself - along with a pair of small Hosa Lil' Bro 6 channel drop box snakes (wired into the board and stored in the unused space at the bottom of the rack).

It ain't cheap...figure $350 bucks with the wheel kit - but it's definitely an elegant solution that is neat, tidy and saves time!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Ready-RR11M16UC-11U-Slant-Rack--16U-Vertical-Rack-103230082-i1171457.gc

• Members

Go here. Although the site is currently down, Mark and Liz have very high value cases, cables etc... Their standard slant top case will hold the Mix Wiz but maybe only with the pod rotated down.

Winston

I have my MixWiz in one of the EWI cases. The pod is rotated down, but the only limitation that I see on having it tucked under, is the shelf that is installed at the top of the rack. It is very easily removed.

• Members

Thanks fellas. This is all really helpful! I've checked those out and they look fantastic, but... 12 spaces is going to be just a little too big for how compact I need this rig to be, and after shipping this bad boy is going to be a little outside of my budget. I'm going to try and get some more cash together, but I'm also trying to be as economical as I can.

(On a side note, Mark and Liz are tremendously awesome. They've been very helpful as I've been trying to find different solutions to my situations including rack mounting, spitter snakes, etc.... GREAT PEOPLE)

Has anyone had any experiences with those smaller OSP cases on ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-8-SPACE-ATA-MIXER-AMP-RACK-CASE-OSP-MC10UD-8_W0QQitemZ280237529440QQihZ018QQcategoryZ23789QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

I saw somebody on the other forum already suggested this but I rack my MixWiz in a 14 X 4 Pearson case (www.pearsoncases.com). Online the 14 space racks start over 8 spaces; however, I called and had Aaron custom build me the 14 over 4. I also installed a 2 space rack in the back becasue the 14 spaces is so deep it works ok. The case is over 2 years old and has held up good. The hardware latches are very nice and although carpet covered, it apears to be of higher quality carpet. I think I spent around $175 on the case, maybe $200 w/ shipping.

• Members

I use an EWI Audiopile case and it's great. Pod is rotated to the back and I put the mixer a little forward. Since the front and back cover stick out a little, I put the mixer forward of the front so I can still leave all the cables attached to the back. Best money I have spent.

• Members

I saw somebody on the other forum already suggested this but I rack my MixWiz in a 14 X 4 Pearson case (
www.pearsoncases.com
). Online the 14 space racks start over 8 spaces; however, I called and had Aaron custom build me the 14 over 4. I also installed a 2 space rack in the back becasue the 14 spaces is so deep it works ok. The case is over 2 years old and has held up good. The hardware latches are very nice and although carpet covered, it apears to be of higher quality carpet. I think I spent around $175 on the case, maybe $200 w/ shipping.

Really like how you've set that up with the patch panel at back.

How heavy is that Pearson case? And how well do the front and back latches work? I'm thinking about the 12/4 - would that be enough room to leave my aux's and mains connected to the back panel of a MWdx in the "L" position (i.e. mixer back panel extended) when stored?

• Members

Really like how you've set that up with the patch panel at back.

How heavy is that Pearson case? And how well do the front and back latches work? I'm thinking about the 12/4 - would that be enough room to leave my aux's and mains connected to the back panel of a MWdx in the "L" position (i.e. mixer back panel extended) when stored?

THe 14 x 4 rack has worked out great. Within the next couple of weeks I'm going to install a powercon on the far right side of the patch panel. Tie the powercon into the Furman and then there will be no powercords hanging out.

THe pearson case is not too heavy. The loaded rack is pretty heavy because the MixWiz is so heavy. I have had the case for over 2 years and have had no problems with the latches. I actually own 2 Pearson cases and have had no problems with any of the hardware. I think these are well build for carpet covered cases.

I looked at my 14 x 4 and tried to image what the depth would be with two less rack spaces on top. I think this equates to about 3 and 1/2 inches or so. I think the 12 x 4 would work if all your connections were done with right angle cables. I can tell for sure that my EWI insert cables would stick out way too far to fit in a 12 x 4. I would say that you really need 13 spaces on top of a slant top rack to get the MixWiz in with enough space to keep most cables connected in that position. I would recommend calling Aaron Pearson and get him to quote you on a 14 x 4. He's familiar with that rack becasue he has build it for other MixWiz users.

• Members

I can tell for sure that my EWI insert cables would stick out way too far to fit in a 12 x 4.

I thought the same thing about my aux sends to my eq's, so I used 90 degree TRS plugs. They stay connected, and fit fine with the cover on the back.

Archived