Yamaha EMX512sc with external effects

• Members

Having used the EMX512sc for the last year and not being able to get the quality of effects I'm after, I bought an Alesis rack mountable effects unit. Reading the mixer's manual it advises to "output the signal to an external effector" and "return the signal by connecting the external effector to any of the LINE jacks on channel pairs 5/6 to 11/12" and "turn the EFFECT knob for that channel pair to "0"."

Being far from an expert on this deal (and not wanting to hook it up and damage something) I hope someone can tell me if the above set-up will get me effects to ALL channels on the board (my assumption is yes)? Then, what output settings on the Alesis should I set? Any other wisdom coming my way vis a vis the use of this outboard unit will be gratefully accepted and acknowledged.

Tony Noriega in Tampa

• Members

Tony,

Yes, if you attach an external fx unit, you can send signal to it from the effect send on any channel. The reason they tell you to make sure the effect knob is on 0 on the channel where you plug in the output from your fx box is feedback... If you send a signal to the fx unit, and bring that in, and send the signal from that to itself, you create a loop. The end result is the loudest nastiest feedback you've ever heard.

• Members

Your unit doesnt appear to have an FX send.(output jack) How do you send to an external unit?

Thanks.......the unit does indeed have an FX out, which I've used....it was the return signal that I was unsure about but now I've got it working. I have returned it to the "line in" on ch 5/6.

Now that it's working I have to determine which effect to use. I'll do a search and if I don't find the info I need I'll be posting a new thread. Thanks!

• Members

Richard:

Thanks for using some of you time to reply......that's the info I need and I will try it out this afternoon. I DO appreciate your help!

Tony

No problem. BTW, I live in New Port Richey, so we're practically neighbors. :)

I own the 312, which is the model under the one you own.

Archived