Playing Outdoors with Pro PA - Use Wedges or IEMs?

• Members

My band is playing a large outdoor gig on Sunday. The event organizers have hired a professional sound guy with a large PA. The sound guy we normally use has a habit of adjusting the trims during a gig, so I normally run our monitor mix, splitting mic signals to send to the board. Sometimes I use IEMs, but if the stage volume is low enough, I just use a wedge. So here are the questions:

Should I trust this pro sound guy to do my monitor mix, or should I set up my own monitor mix?

Since the gig is outside, will stage volumes be low enough to use a wedge, or should I go with my IEMs? (I like to protect my hearing.)

Letting the sound guy run my monitor will be the simplest solution--fewer cables and splitters involved. If I use IEMs, he could feed me some of the other instruments as well, which would be cool. (I normally use two extra SM57s to get some drums and lead guitar into my IEMs.) On the other hand, IEMs can limit on-stage communication with other band members, which could be a problem if we try to change up the set list on the fly. Wedges are simple and reliable. By the way, I play acoustic guitar and sing. We play all kinds of music.

Any thoughts?

• Members

Are you the only band playing? Is there any time restraints setting up your own IEM monitor system?

We play outside most of the time, never have any problems with a monitor wedge. Stage volume shouldnt be any different, play at your normal stage volumes.

• Members

Yes, we are the only band playing. We'll have 3hrs to set up and soundcheck. I think stage volume on the drums will be lower because we'll be outside. The drums are the main thing that destroys my hearing. Our drummer pounds the things. I sing more accurately with IEMs.

• Members

I find that a lot of bands give a much better performance with monitors outside. That is if they are decent monitors. If he is able to give you what you want through the monitors I'd suggest you give it a try.

Archived